Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 side arm for bear hunting???? >

side arm for bear hunting????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

side arm for bear hunting????

Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Default RE: side arm for bear hunting????

ORIGINAL: 121553

I also carry bear spray which has been proven to be more effective than a pistol. . . . . . most often your not going to have a chance to make a lethal shot and stop a charging bear with its adredilian flowing and it has one thing in mindand that is to eliminate the threat. It happens so fast, your not going to have a chance to make a rational decision and in that split moment its on top of you.

Bobby
I've never had aclose bear encounter, but I know and rely onfriends who have, andthey give me the same advice, especiallyone ranger in particular who is a crack shot with a .45. Seems like the better they know their pistol, themore they know their skill willbe challenged under pressure, and the more they want spray which takes almost no skill.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 AM

I don't understand why you think deploying gas would require less skill/effort under pressure than a handgun. I have received training for the carry of both handguns and gas. For every variable that you can point to that makes upthe act of deploying a handgun, there is a similar component with bringing bear spray to bear (pun intended). With both, you must:
[ul][*]Decideto draw the device.[*]Competently clear the holster.[*]Accurately aim the device.[*]Decideto fire.[*]Competently trigger the device.[*]Follow up[/ul]
I would suspect most people train significantly more on the above elements with a handgun than with a can of pepper spray.

Granted, bear spray has a broad pattern,making aiming the unit a little easier, but is only effectivesprayed into the face.Anywhere else will be completely ineffective.

A pistol round can be effective in either a head or torso shot. It also has the side benefit of a bright flash and loud report that may dissuade an attack.

My point is not to look to bear spray as a talisman that can be clipped on your belt and taken for granted. Whichever you choose, make sure you are competent with it.

-- FLIX

Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Flix.
By the way guys it is leagle here in Montana to carry a side arm during the bow season as long as you don't finish the animal with it,but law has nothing to do with it.
BBJ
Old 06-22-2006, 11:36 AM

[ul][*]Decideto draw the device.[*]Competently clear the holster.[*]Accurately aim the device.[*]Decideto fire.[*]Competently trigger the device.[*]Follow up[/ul]
Well Said.I always here from my parnter that I will not have time to draw and I will miss under pressure. Well whats the difference if it's a gun or spray as far as deploying it?... Much rather have the gun if one is on top of me.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

while the rare hunter gets mauled by a wounded brown or grizzly bear, I can't find a single example of a wounded blackbear ever harming a hunter.
A Pennsylvania hunter was attacked by a Black bear he wounded during the 2005 season.http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=166666
Old 06-22-2006, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Flix

I would suspect most people train significantly more on the above elements with a handgun than with a can of pepper spray.

Granted, bear spray has a broad pattern,making aiming the unit a little easier, but is only effectivesprayed into the face.Anywhere else will be completely ineffective.

A pistol round can be effective in either a head or torso shot. It also has the side benefit of a bright flash and loud report that may dissuade an attack.

-- FLIX

I agree with you on the steps required, EXCEPT I can't agree about how accurate you need to be with the spray. A little in the eyes or nose is all it takes. I can start firingbear spray BEFORE I have a good aim, see where its going, hold the button down and cover an area with fog.

I have twice killed bearswith a 300 mag, and both times took more than one shot. I can't imagine my chances being very good to do immediate harm to a pissed off bear with my first shot. Again, my advice comes from a guy who is very good with his .45 and has had bear encounters with spray.

I guess it doesn't much matter - you take your gun and I will take my spray and I hope we both do well in case of an attack.

Good advice you have on not taking the spray for granted. I will be careful not to expect it to be that easy.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

What happens when the wind is blowing hard and/or the spray blows you in the face or away from the bears' face. I'll stick with my .480 Ruger Alaskan. The wind won't blow a bullet in my face.
HCH
[/align]
Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH,
Let's hope the bear likes spicy food,cause thats what's going to happen.