Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

BLR Caliber

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BLR Caliber

The BLR in the new .338 Federal (.338-08) would be outstanding.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:05 AM

You've already got a "plunker" (30-30)

You live in Colorado, so your hunting elk and antelope may well be more than conversational....
IMHO for one gun for elk and antelope,you needone that is both a"reacher"AND a "puncher."

300WinMag (if they make a 300WSM okay)
7mmRemMag

30-06

In that order
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, thanks again for the input.

BigBulls, I understand what you are saying about published velocities and the shorter 22" barrell, but isn't it relative? For example the 270 WSM and the 30-06 in the BLR both come in a 22" barrell and the balistics charts are based on the 24" barrell, so wouldn't I see tsimilar deterioration in velocity in both. In other words aren't I still comparing apples to apples?

You did make me think though, about the .308. The balistics I'm comparing are for 24" barrell and the BLR barrell is only 20". It looks like I need to do the math and factor down the velocity and energy based on barrell lenth for each round (keeping bullet wt as consisitant as possible) and compare. I might see if I can do the recoil energy calculation as well, but that one seems a little complex.

Thanks, this has got me thinking.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is relative but......

The more powder a cartridge holds the longer the barrel needs to be to burn all of that slow burning powder.

Magnum cartridges loose more velocity per inch of barrel than does a standard cartridge like a .270 which looses more velocity per inch of barrel than does a short action standard cartridge like the .308.

Like I said you will still have greater velocity with the WSM but not what you would expect if you go by the published data.

BTW this is not meant to talk you out of any cartridge but rather to give you something to think about concerning your decision. Honestly in the BLR you would be better off with the standard magnums that you would be with the WSM's.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Bigbulls,

Honestly in the BLR you would be better off with the standard magnums that you would be with the WSM's.
Why would that be? [Okay with me, just want to know.]
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Becasue if he is wanting the ballistics of a magnum he would be better off with the 24 inch tube that comes in the 300 Win mag and the 7mm Rem mag vs. the 22 inch tube that comes with the wsm's.

I know everyone has their personal preferances as to what they want in a gun but IMHO if I feel the need for a magnum then I want the barrel length so the magnum will perform like it is suppose to. I don't see much point in puting a magnum in anything less than a 24" barrel.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

BB, thanks. This is just the kind of info I have been looking for. I can use the ballistic tables to compare cartriges, but I'm looking for input on the specific configurations for the BLR. I was wanting to know if the 270 wsm configuration is the real show stopper it seemed to be. It looks like I need to review it again.

EKM, thanks, you asked the same question I wanted to ask.

I really appreciate everyone that is willing to share their knowledge and experience. This forum has helped me a lot.

Spud
Old 04-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 08's would probably be the least effected by the shorter barrel as they perform well even in the 15 inch Encores.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

James,

Help me out on this. I like the 7mm-08. It sounds like a good improvement to the 308 in the areas of trajectory and recoil. I keep reading about it and going back to it my only concern is that it is only loaded in 140 grain bullets. I'd at least like the option of a 150 grn. I know that the round has taken elk, moose, etc,. I'm looking for a round that can hit elk and deer at 300 - 350 yds. If it can take those it will be fine for antelope. I would also want it to be dependable for black bear. Maybe it's just my thought process, but I have a mental block being that it is only available in the 140 grain. I would use premium bullets for Elk and bear, but I should any way. Would I have to for deer as well?

If you can get me past my mental block this round might be the answer.

Spud
Old 04-14-2006, 10:04 PM

So, specifically, what cartridges have you experienced and where did you find your recoil threshold?

Quick Reply: BLR Caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.