Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Battery

Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Big Game Battery

Hi Everyone:

Alot of folks here post about "favorite" rifles for Elk, Moose etc. I am interested in finding out what else resides in your safe/cabinet (>.270 onlyplease) AND what is your primary "go-to" gun for big-game hunting.

For me, 7x64, 300wm, .350 Rem & 416 Rem, go-to has been the .416.

It would be nice to know what other guys and gals have to choose from, and if they actually do gravitate to the larger end of their availablespectrum forthe "real deal".

Thanks,
CE
Old 03-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Game Battery

I have a 270, 7mm rem mag, 338 win mag, 50 cal. Omega, 54 caliber Renegade, and a Mathews switchback. I try and hunt with the muzzleloaders or the bowevery chance I get. For rifle elk though, I would carry the 338, possibly the 7mm in certain instances.

Of course I also have a 222 and a 243 also!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 AM

ColoradoElk,
Entertaining thread idea, I'll work with you on it, but I’m afraid I can’t give you a definitive answer.

Per your parameters, here is the over 270 “line up” (I do have one of those --- teen years rifle):

.308 (often present for target practice trips)
.30-06 (camp rifle, sometimes subs for the .308 at target practice, as fall approaches)
------------------
338 WinMag (2) [was definitely my favorite in my 20’s]
375 H&H Mag
416 Rigby
458 Lott

[Nevermindany smoke polesor pistols.]

The 375 H&H is like an eager hunting dog waiting in the kennel, the one that sees you coming, gun in hand, and is the first one to the gateas if to say“take me, you've seen me hunt and I' always do good!" When I open the gun safe, sometimes I listen to that appeal,many timesI don’t. Generally, I strive not to have a “one size fits all” favorite for big game, I think it clouds judgment.

I strive to set my rifles up the same: actions (bolt), safeties (2 position w/lock down), scope sight ins (200 yards with quick detach mounts), iron sights still on barrel, trigger pulls (3.5 pounds), and stock fits (just right) to where they all feel and pointandoperate similarly. Sometimes my choice for a given hunt involves choosing a rifle that I am working on building up experience with. Honestly, I actively avoid allowing myself to become sentimentally attached to any one of them. I want to be confident with any of them, but NOT attached. They all have good "video replays" attached to them.

In choosing the first choice rifleand then the back up riflefor a given hunting trip, I look at the expected conditions, topography, and nature of the animal I’m after and go from there, making sure I err on the side of having a margin to spare. While the" kill" may not be the quintessential part of the hunting; to the extent that it is a part, I strive to accomplish the kill with as definitive, overwhelming, smash-mouth hit that anchors them on the spot, with that sweet heavy K-THUD body hit that you can hear from 300 yards away. No running off to die somewhere else, as I am just not into “archery hunting” with a rifle.

I strive to consistently hunt (and live) per my tag line,
but hey, that is just me.

BTW, I could easily adopt your tag lineas well (too few people think that way), but it wouldn't be original and it would get to be a bit long though not as space consuming as some of the archery equipment lists I see in tag lines.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Well Now,

Larger than 270 Heh,

270 wsm (now my boys)
280 Rem (my favorite deer rifle)
338 win (my go to gun)
currently building a 6.5x284. I know its smaller than 270 but I had to mention it.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Living in the east, I find I use the 30.06 most often... but if it is bigger than 200 lbs, or even might be... the .338 win is pulled out of the safe. Sometimes the 338 comes out anyways as it is just great rifle to carry.

On the wish list is the 375 H&H, but I don't hunt with the rifle enough right now as I do spend more time in the woods with archery gear.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

My weapons over 270 are not many. I can't shoot the bigger rifles anymore unless they can put the shoulder back together this summer like they plan. I do however still shoot the 45-70 in several Models including the Sharps. NEF Buffalo Classic and Marlins. I have to keep the loads down and prefer Black powder loads. I have a 30-06, 270 WSM Several 44 Mag rifles and a 308 Browning A-bolt.

I have a Sako 375 H&H but its not really mine. It belonged to my uncle with whom I hunted all over Heck with. When he passed away, he and his son were not speaking and hadn't for years. If feelings mello in that family, I want to give it to his son. He also had a Sako built in 303 as he was a Brit to the core. I will give that one back to them as well.

As some of you know, I would take the 45-07 anywhere in the world and hunt anything that moves without reservation. I have seen what it will do.

Under 270 I have all the slots filled.I also have a good selection of Mausers from 6.5-303
Old 03-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well let's see, 270 WSM, 307 winchester, 30-06, 35 Whelen and of course the 50 cal inline and flintlock. Let's not leave out the 12 ga 870 lest it get jealous.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Howdy Everyone:

Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't know much about bows or muzzies, so can't comment on them. Please excuse my lack of understanding.

I would like to hear from folks that, for example,own a .338 WM theyshoot well and then choose to take a .270 into the field forbull elkwhen years of preference points are on the line.

The .45-70 (Marlin GG) has a deep place in my heart. I am developing loads with the 425 gr Breartooth Pile Driver Jrs that I hope to compare to the 100s of Garrett cartridges I have. We'll see what happens. I would not expect anything to walk away from a good hit with either.

The Rigby and Lott are impressive. In hindsight, I should have gone the Rigby route. I understand people are building .500A2 rifles these days. Congrats.

EKM, do you strive to maintain the same quality/magnification optics on your rifles? BTW, I paraphrased the first tagline from Hagel, but it fits my opinion.

Thanks again for the responses.

CE

Old 03-22-2006, 10:02 PM

ColoradoElk,

416RemMag is fine, a more trim package.
It is a toss up which is going to get the resources.... a 300RUM Beanfield rifle or a 500A2; I'd probably get more fun out of the 300RUM. The 30Super Mag is the one hole in my line up.
Optics varyin magnification but are predominantly Leupold. For elk, the low power end of thingsis more important than high power IMHO.

Personally, given what I've experienced, the only way I'm retreating back to a 270 [:'(]for elk is if I'm too old or I'm tooinjured or both. Even then, I'd probably rather go with a muzzlebrake and "game ears" before giving up the anchoring capabilities of the more robust cartridges.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 AM

The 375H&H is the one gun for all big game in my book mild on kick but big on punch if had to only own one gun that would be it.

Quick Reply: Big Game Battery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.