Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

best big game round

Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: best big game round

Ditto 338 is the one.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:55 PM

what would your choice be for a grizz or elk hunt as far as caliber.
I like 338 a lot. 338Winchester Magnumsare good RUMs and Weatherby's even better.Lots of folks here seem to agree. However in answer to your question my favorite calibre for such a task would be a bore of .375" and the cartridge would be the 375 H&H (Hittem Hard - Hurt& Holler - Ouch & Ouch). It is a timeless classic that I just never tire of using. Nice recoil-power-confidence package and only about 6 years younger than the jack of all trades 3006.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 PM

JIMMY, Good luck on finding the just so right round for both. I own 26 different hunting rifles and I started wanting just one rifle to hunt with. I have everything from 223 bull barrel to a 338winmag. If I had only 1 rifle to take to Alaska it would be my 338 Win Mag. Its a Rem 700BDL Custom Deluxe. I put a newer syn stock with the R3 pad and it is tame as a 06. Good luck. Jovan
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Game Round... It'd be nice to choose 2 calibers But if I had to choose one for all Big Game, which includes game like Antelope, and deer, not just large animals like moose... I'd choose the .308 or 30.06
Old 02-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Original Post:
what would your choice be for a grizz or elk hunt as far as caliber. looking to get a big game gun and just thought I'd ask you good'ol boys what you recommend.
I dont think were in kansas anymore. Antelope and deer don't bite, grizz do.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:43 PM

30.06 or a .300 mag
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 PM

I wouldnt worry so much as what caliber, as i would bullet placement.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:26 PM

I wouldnt worry so much as what caliber, as i would bullet placement.
I'd seriously concern myself with BOTH accuracyAND cartridge! Why not? A hunter who excessivelyrelies onshot placement while discounting cartridgeis like a high wire walker that practices andperformswithout a safety net,and preaches "Just don't fall and you won't need a net!" Similarly , always place your shot and you only need a "just get by" cartridge. Just one major difference.

When the high wire walker screws up: the police investigate, there is a death certificate, it is in the newspaper, it is public knowledge, and mothers teach their children. Whenthe hunter who overly relies onshot placement to the detriment of capable rifle (with a margin) screws up, thenNOBODY and I mean NOBODYever hears about it! Soon even the hunter himself is convinced"that it was just one of those things."After all, who is ever going to know?

Don't ask what cartridge you can get bywith ifeverything iworks perfect. Ask yourself what cartridge you can getby with when things DON'T go perfect! I'm not talking deer and antelope here as they whack pretty easy. Grizz can bite back especially on the follow up of a wounded one and elk are bigger and tougher (geting back to the original post). I wouldn't get casual on cartridge even ifyouarean "Annie Oakley".

If you are hunting the biggest game on the continent, then use the biggest you can handle AND shoot accurately and if you can't handle much, then it is your responsibility to stay home on the porch.... or at leastback home where the deer and the antelope play.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:15 PM

35 whelen, .338 win mag or .340 weatherby. If i was justhuntingelk and grizzlies these would be my choice. And if I was just hunting gizzlies I wouldn't be affraid touse all the previous mentioned, but I also woudn't hesitate adding the 375 h&h to the list either. But seeing that elk is on your list of game along with the grizz.....then the 375 h&h is not at all needed to harvest elk.

I swear by the 30-06, butI would still choose the larger calibers to take the grizzlies especially(if I had the option).
Old 03-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems .300 Win Mag has been a very good round for me on big game. I'm sure there a number of "favorites" folks have. The best big game round in my opinion is the one that gets the job done as quick and cleanly as possible. The .300 WM fits that description for me.

Quick Reply: best big game round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.