Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 anyone with info about pig hunting >

anyone with info about pig hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

anyone with info about pig hunting

Old 02-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Default anyone with info about pig hunting

Not complaining or anything, but Considering a trip out west for elk this year seems out of the question. Soooo, I was thinking ( this is the point where i'm usually going to get into trouble atleast according to my wife), what else could I try hunting thats not so far from where i live inMassachusetts, but yet not something I can hunt here. Hmmmm, and I thought what about pigs! Has anyone here got any suggestions for hunting pigs in the southeast? Some place like in the carolinas or tennesee (day or so drive for me and a friend). I've never hunted them but am seriously considering trying. It would have to be free range and fair chase for me to consider it though. Just me, not a judgement on anyone elses style of hunting. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: anyone with info about pig hunting

Fair chase for you or the pig? [8D]

Sorry, but I don't have any info about hunting back east. Just had to get in a wise crack.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:55 AM

I can appreciate that. Arthur I do more visiting/ reading of posts than I do corresponding, I like reading your posts/ responces. You be carefull quail huntin down there. Just not interested in hunting any penned up critters.[:'(]

Jim Robator
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I just got back from chasing pigs in S. GA--it was a blast! No fences, no dogs, no back--just spot and stalk through the swamp. Saw lots of hogs, but only killed one small one. They are smart! It was a great hunt, but my legs are killing me! I hope to go back before too long--loved it! I was invited by a customer, so the hunt didn't cost anything, and the license was cheap ($30 for 3 days). Figure you could find a cheap hunt in GA with a little research. I might be able to help--there was a ranch (no fence, but they do usually use dogs) close to where we hunted, but I'm not sure on the rates. I'll try to get more info.

Chad
Old 02-18-2006, 09:45 PM

Awesome, glad you had a good time. sounds like the kind of hunting experience i'm looking for. i definately would appreciate any further info you happento gather. There is a large sportsmans show coming up here in my area next week and i was hoping to talk to some people there as well. might get more info there or not. you could always contact me either on the forum or by email whichever is more convenient thanks Chad

Jim Robator
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That should have read "No fences, no dogs, no bait--just spot and stalk through the swamp." That's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping.

Jim, I'll see if I can get you some info. today or tomorrow. The fellow we hunted with was great, but he doesn't do it commercially. However, he has a friend that is in the same area that does. We almost had an invitation to hunt on his place, but he had a group from MD hunting while we were there.

Chad
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Good deal Chad, congrats on the piggy - WTG! Did you get to keep the meat? Wild hog is some mightyfine eating, especially those backstraps & tenderloin! YUMMMMM! How aboutposting a picture or two?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Oh yeah--gonna eat it for sure. It was only about 30#--easy to drag anyhow! lol It was some dang tough huntin--any more than two days, we'd have to pace ourselves rather than go at it all day. One bud that went is a foreman for the construction company I used to work for. The job he's on now is 19 floors, and he has 50 guys working under him--he's up and down stairs all day long, and this hunt kicked his rear too.

Dummy me, I took my camera but left it in the truck, so I didn't get any pics. Our host and one buddy did get pictures, but it may be a little while before I get them (film cameras).

Vic, to give you an idea, this was tougher than trying to shoot two rounds a day for two days straight at the KK. Wasn't hilly (thank goodness), but the mud tried to suck your boots off of your feet. Learned quick that I better take water with me and a few granola bars--when you get back in those woods, you can't just walk straight out due to the swamp/sloughs/beaver ponds. Dunno what we would have done if we'd gotten a big one--probably still be packing it out! Already scheming on how to pull it off again before next year. It was GREAT! First time I'd ever done any real spot-and-stalk hunting (made a few feeble attempts before, but nothing like this). Learned a lot--think I have a new favorite critter to hunt!

Chad
Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 PM

chad got the info you sent. thanks alot. i will be giving them acall real soon. I really hope that a spot and stalk hunt is available. i'm not sure what a couple of hunting partners have in mind, but as for me and my friend Jim (traditional bowhunters) we would want spot and stalk.

Thanks

Jim Robator
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Their normal method is with dogs, but I'd bet you could work something out with a spot and stalk hunt. It was a learning experience for me--loved it! You will need a good pair of rubber boots (I like the Muck "WoodY") and a lot of endurance--bet you sleep good after a day of hunting! The Budget Inn was a decent place to sleep and shower--cheap too.

Chad

Quick Reply: anyone with info about pig hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.