Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle >

mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle

Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Spike

Default mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle

does anybody own this gun? Is it dependable? Would you trust it on an elk hunt?

any replies are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle

Didn't we discuss this gun in your "elk gun" thread?

I gave you my professional opinion on the gun and others commented on the ATR. Most all of us suggested the Stevens 200, which is a Savage 110. It is an incredible value in budget rifles and IMO ten times the rifle that the ATR is. Just because the ATR comes with a camo stock doesn't mean it is the best choice.

The ATR just isn't a good quality rifle but you are obviously set on purchasing the ATR cause you seem to keep talking yourself into it so..............
Old 02-17-2006, 07:49 AM

Here's the thing Pard, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, ask yourself this: Why must I ask others if this gun is good enough? There is a reason why its cheaper than the rest. I think you know the answer, You are just trying to talk yourself into something because its affordable. Hold that mossberg in your hands and work the action. Try the trigger if the store owner will allow you.... Now do the same with a Remington, Savage, Ruger, Winchester etc. You will have your answer without doubt.

Trust me I know what its like to be short on cash, I don't use the term"poor". "Poor" are the folks who won't work to better themselves. There are always options and oppurtunities. Heck, there is always wood to chop. I chopped many a load of firewood to buy hunting rifles when I was growing up. So be honest with yourself and figure out how much you need to get the "right" rifle and go work your tail off to earn it.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with everyone on this the Stevens is the best value going in a price of cash.

I used the word "POOR" loosly in my other post.We were poor by the means of buying finer things,but both parents worked and we also ran a small farm/ranch.We never went hungry,but when your mom works two jobs waiting tables,and saves her tips to buy you a new rifle,well you feel alittle guilty about asking for one.So as Shato said,there is plenty of lawns to be mowed,wood to be chopped or snow to shovle.

When I was 13 years old my parents met me half way,we went to GreatFalls and looked for a new gun for me.The end of that day I walked out of Wearhouse Pawn with Used Remington 7600 Gamemaster 30-06 with a 4x Bushnell scope for 340 bucks.That was almost 20 years ago,and I still have this gun and hopefuly my kidds will use it to,to take their first elk like I did and many after that.

Shato I'm still on my soap box.
BBJ
Old 02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Spike

i just recently bought a remington shotgun... it was the cheapest pump action shotgun that I could find. I looked in every pawn shop, sporting goods store, and gunsmith in my town. This is by far one of the greatest guns that I own. Cheap isn't always a bad thing!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't take our word for it. Go buy it cause you are dead set to contradict every person advising you otherwise. After all, it's your money.

BTW, the Remington 870 isn't a a cheaply made shotgun. It can be an inexpensive shotgun in its basic configuration but it isn't cheap.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 PM

Goose Caller,

You posted earlier regarding elk hunting cartridges and IMO you look to be on the right track there however regarding this NEW Mossberg thing I fear you are heading for the bar pit.

The Mossberg I talked to you about is 30+ years old and IS NOT the 100 ATR. I don't have an ATR as one can't own EVERYTHING,but I 'd really recommend you pay attention to what folks are trying to tell you, they have nothing to win or lose by your choice, they just want to see a happy new hunter. If you can't find one of the old good ones I wouldn't recommend pursuing one of the new not-so-good ones.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

I dare anyone to compare the 870 to that mossberg thing they call a rifle. I went and looked a GM today andI was not impressed.Stevens is the way to go for under $300.00 class what makes the mossberg so appealing to you?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Spike

ok forget the new mossberg... ive got my sights set on somthing else so to speek. Is the savage .300 win. mag. a good dependable rifle? I found one for $220 it comes with a strap and scope. Is this a good deal? the gun is in GREAT condition, slightly used though.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now you are on the right track.

That would be an excelent rifle in a great elk cartridge. Depending on the model you may or may not want the scope though. Those package deals didn't come with the best scopes available. Elk hunting can be very hard on equipemnt you don't want the scope to fail on you when you are miles from anything.

Do you know which scope is mounted on the gun?

Quick Reply: mossberg 100 ATR bolt-action rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.