Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.308 Win

Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Default .308 Win

Is the .308 win sufficiant for elk? I was thinking that it would be IF used with premium bullets. From what I understand it is pretty much the same as a 30-06. I am not trying to start any fights here just wanting to know what you guys think. Thanks.
Rob
Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 PM

Default RE: .308 Win

If you really wanted to you could kill an elk with a .22, so a .308 will work fine. People I hunt with have killed several elk with the 7mm/08 (.308 necked down for 7mm bullets) using plain jane 140 gr. Winchester Super X ammo. And most of the guys I hunt with have used .270's and 30-06's with cheap 150gr bullets for over 30 years and killed elk almost every year with no probelms. I also know people who have killed elk using a .243. Just place your shots in the kill zone. Regardless of how big of a gun you're using, if you make a bad shot the elk won't go down.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM

Elk can travel even with a well placed shot huh WTG.
If .308 is all you got, just try and stay within' a couple hundred yards or closer. Wapiti can be a nightmare to track. First some blood, then no blood, then no tracks. (Hope there's a little snow).
Bam, you've made cayote bait. That's my main reason to use bigger calibers, so you don't have to chase, and potentially lose, that trophy you went so far for and spent so much money on.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:24 PM

I've used a 308 for several elk kills. All were basically short range in timber. Depending on the situation, a 308 could be fine. As already stated you will need to discipline yourself to reasonable ranges.

If the hunt is a one time deal and you shoot the gun well I would use it. If you're looking for a long-term go-to elk gun you might look at another weapon. Especially if you are hunting open country where that far away bull will be awfully tempting. If that is the situation you'd be better off looking for something else now. My two cents.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:41 AM

there is a great artical in these months handloader magazine about the 308 WIN says hows great it is and thats its a 350 yard elk caliber...... and its my favorite caliber also,just order one in a browning a-bolt composite stalker gonna use it for my moose and deer...... heres a moose my unkle took this year with his 308 remington model 7400
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Caliber is in the eye of the beholder!!!

No matter the caliber, there are stipulations, rules and logistics that must be obeyed in order to make an "ethical and efficient" harvest. As long as you realize that the list of those observed restrictions is longer as you travel down the caliber ladder. That is to say that as the caliber and gun size increase, you have greater opportunity in the field. But with that comes greater responsibility! As many have stated here, some think that because they are using a big gun they can accomplish unbelievable feats of marksmanship.

My advice........spend an adequate time on gun and caliber but don't get overlycaught up in it. Spend more time learning to get"in amongst them"!!! The better you are at that, the less important the gunbecomes!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:50 AM

Red River Hntr,

That is one of the best summaries of caliber/cartridge efficiency I have ever read! Thanks for posting. Others would value from a long hard look at your advice.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the right bullet, the 308 will retain 1688 LB of ME at 300 yards 1444 Lb ME at 400 yards. Thats enough power for elk if shot placement is good. In the end thats what takes game.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Caliber is in the eye of the beholder!!!

No matter the caliber, there are stipulations, rules and logistics that must be obeyed in order to make an "ethical and efficient" harvest. As long as you realize that the list of those observed restrictions is longer as you travel down the caliber ladder. That is to say that as the caliber and gun size increase, you have greater opportunity in the field. But with that comes greater responsibility! As many have stated here, some think that because they are using a big gun they can accomplish unbelievable feats of marksmanship.

My advice........spend an adequate time on gun and caliber but don't get overlycaught up in it. Spend more time learning to get"in amongst them"!!! The better you are at that, the less important the gunbecomes!
Worth repeating the above. One issue I've seen with two friends who shoot magnums (I shoot a 30-06): they admit to thinking about the recoil - and I think it affects their marksmanship. Therefore, something to think about: a .308 or 30-06 (or even a .270 for that matter) have plenty of power at pretty darn good ranges. And, they are mild enough so that it's reasonable to expect a steady aim and no flinch. The range difference with a magnum is worthless if a tiny flinch throws you off 2 feet at that range.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good Grief!! The common sense is starting to bleed through!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.