Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting

Old 01-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default elk hunting

What is a good poundage for a elk
Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting

???? What do you mean by "poundage"?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking archery for elk. I would look at the greatest amount of KE that you can generate without over bowing yourself. I know alot of people who hunt with 60 lbs. I can easily pull 70, so that is what I use, and generate just shy of 80 foot pounds of KE. Good broadhead selection is another important factor to consider. IMO a good quality cut on contact is right at the top of the list.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 PM

I was thinking, how big is the average elk.
Since you didn't post this in the archery forums.
If so, a calf will go 300 - 500 lbs. A cow or spike will go 500 - 800. And a large bull can go just over 1000 pounds! These are rough figures but in the ball park, and "on the hoof". As with any animal, you will loose about 40 - 60% in guts, bone, hide, etc.
It's like taking down a horse! You pack one out one quarter at a time. Or if you're in far enough, just take a knife and fork!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

As with all game, alot depends on shot selection. Safe to say shoot as much poundage as you can ACCURATELY.

I have only shot 1 elk, 65lbs at 29.5 inches pushing a 2314 with 100 gr head, probably around 440 gr or so at around 260fps. Shot was 4 yards quartering towards me, went in just behind shoulder, came out behind the ribs. I figure it went through about 4 feet of elk, took out both lungs, liver and nicked the stomach. Arrow went another 30 yards past the elk.

--Bob

Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM

But I guess you're refering to bow poundage. 1st thing you need to do id check the regs where you live. Don't want to go hunting with an illegal bow.
Next, shoot what you are comfortable with! If 70# is too tuff, put it down and go to something lighter. There is no sense in judging manhood according to the poudage of your bow (some people do). You might start with 50 and move up as your strength develops. 50#'s is plenty for elk.
Important to get with a pro shop or some expert and MATCH THE ARROWS, BROADHEAD WEIGHT, AND ARROW LENGTH TO THE BOW YOU ARE GOING TO USE! Arrow speed makes for good conversation, but that elk doesn't know how fast your bow is shooting.
One more thing. Bows come in "draw weight ranges". For instance, bow specs might say 50 - 60 pounds, 60 - 70 pounds, etc. Try and buy a bow you can grow into. Start at the low end (comfortable), and gradually crank it down to the higher weights. Volumes have been written and discussed about kinetic energy, arrow speeds, etc. Keep this in mind: you have to often times draw and hold a bow for many seconds on elk before letting go with it. You will likely have to launch an arrow accurately to 50 yards in elk country. So get what is comfortable, affordable, and is matched with the arrow and whole package. Remember, Indians lived on big game with nothing but a stick and a string!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

sorry I didn't word it very good I met a good draw weight. Thanks for the info A guy I no is going elk hunting in september and wantned to give him some ideals