Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Black bear for dinner?

Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Black bear for dinner?

My first hunt of '06 will be spring bear. Can't wait!
Have never harvested a bear.
Arethey good to eat? And what meat handling precausions do I take?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black bear for dinner?

I like really enjoy bear meat. Just make sure to remove all the fat you can, grill it so the remaining fat drops out, and cook it well done. Good luck on your bear kill!!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is good to eat if you get them a little time after they come out of hibernation. During the winter, they put a lot of "urine" byproducts in their muscle for storage. If they have had time to emerge and eat again for awhile, they are good.

As stated, cook them like pork, WELL DONE. Just like hogs, they could have trichinosis, a parasite that is killed when you fully cook it.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 PM

suasage and stir-fry
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM

I've wondered about that urine thing while hibernating. So how long after they come out? Couple days, or couple weeks. And is the pelt generally better in the spring or fall?
Thanks for the input. Locally I've either heard "it's better than elk" to "My dogs wouldn't eat it."
I don't like shooting something I'm not gping to eat. So, thanks again.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 PM

I personally will only eat it in pepperettes 'cause it tases good. I would't it it regualrily becuase to me it is like eating a wolf or a coyote. Both eat meat, berries, whatever, and rotton meat. Doesn't sound good to me.

I give them away to people who like it but it is supposed to be good and taste like pork![8D]

[/align]
Old 01-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how long it would take. As far as the pelt, in the spring the pelt would be the best just after they emerge, before they have a chance to start shedding. A fall bear would have a great pelt and be better to eat, but probably harder to hunt.

As far as not eating something because of what it eats, chickens and turkeys (that aren't grown in a warehouse somewhere, eat bugs, including maggots! Ever eaten chicken or turkeys or their eggs from free range birds?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:17 AM

I really enjoy a fall killed bear which has been devouring blueberries, you get a really sweet meat. As far as spring bears, I don't have much experience but I have eaten some very old and tough bears and they make really good sausage. Also, make bear jerky... a great way to use the whole animal and trust me, good bear jerky lasts no time at all. You'll be booking/planning a hunt to get you some more.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:03 PM

We got a bear last fall and the backstraps were really good and tender. The rest of the meat is kind of chewy. Not bad though. Good in chilly.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

As far as not eating something because of what it eats, chickens and turkeys (that aren't grown in a warehouse somewhere, eat bugs, including maggots! Ever eaten chicken or turkeys or their eggs from free range birds?
I'll pass thanks. Bugs sound better than Rotton meat. I'm sure it won't hurt anything but I would sooner eat other things.

Quick Reply: Black bear for dinner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.