Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyo. App. Deadlines

Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Wyo. App. Deadlines

Elk- 1/1 to 1/31
Deer and Antelope- 1/1 to 3/15
Sheep, Moose, Mt. Goat-1/1 to 2/28

Also this is the 1st year to get preference points so if you want to hunt a hard to draw area I'd start this year, you can obtain points with out putting in for a permit

http://gf.state.wy.us/
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wyo. App. Deadlines

This is the 1st year for points on elk, deer & antelope. Sheep, goats & moose having been giving points for years. If you are starting out this year for sheep----IMO forget it. You'll be 105 years old before you draw plus it's a $100 a point for sheep. $75 for moose. I've got 6 moose points & seriously thinking of giving up.

Now for deer, elk & antelope that's another story & it's probably worth a try.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to apply for a non-resident elk license.Iam not sure if I should apply for the general elk, or the reduced priced cow calf license?
I want to bow hunt elk this year. I am not sure if the reduced priced cow/calf tags are good during the archery season?
I guess I have several questions to ask before I apply.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

This is the 1st year for points on elk, deer & antelope. Sheep, goats & moose having been giving points for years. If you are starting out this year for sheep----IMO forget it. You'll be 105 years old before you draw plus it's a $100 a point for sheep. $75 for moose. I've got 6 moose points & seriously thinking of giving up.

Now for deer, elk & antelope that's another story & it's probably worth a try.
That is not good news!!!! I wanted to start accruing points for a sheep hunt in the future. Its one of my only hopes for a Rocky mountain Bighorn. Don't crush my dreams.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado Bob, 6 points will draw a moose tag in several units in WY. I have been pouring over these numbers lately b/c I will have six this year and hope to draw in the next two years.

Shato, As far as the sheep tag goes you need to have the max number of points, which is 11, toeven have a shot at drawing a tag in the quality units. There are a couple units that have the random draw where a guy could get lucky, but theodds are about 1:500. For the common man, like myself, this will be the only way I will ever have a chance to draw either tag w/o paying some outlandish fee.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck BG---I'm probably going to bail out----maybe a can send you my 6 points that would make 11 & we could draw in a GOOD unit. LOL CB
Old 01-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Be carefull when trying to draw certain tags in WY. Many times they will sell you whatever tags you want, however good luck on drawing the areas you actually want to hunt. The limited quota (good areas) areas never seem to be available so they'll give you a less desirable location.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:55 PM

What?! No they don't! The Wyoming G&F ap gives you the choise of three areas to draw in order of your preference. If you don't draw those, you get your money back.
Draw only areas vs. general licence areas are dtermined more by the Elk populations than whether or not there are big Elk there. It is a way af "managing the herds". An area with a large population will be hunted with a general tag, one with smaller numbers will be drawomg only.
And as far as preference points, I think someone was on LSD when they tried to hunt that dog!
I say, don't waist your money on preference points. A small percentage of tags are set aside for first time applicants so they too will have some kind of chance to draw. Otherwise, nobody would ever apply.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:03 AM
car
Typical Buck

I just sent in for elk, no pref point for me! In 6 more years I will be living in Wyoming so I'll have a better chance at drawing a elk tag.After the elk draw results are posted I'll app for deer and antelope. Good luck to all on the elk draw.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Car . . . For Wyoming residents, there are tons of elk areas that can be hunted with a "general" tag . . . no drawing.
Where you gonna move to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.