Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Rut

Old 01-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Rut

When is the best time to go to Colorado to get the best of the elk rut in? I plan on going the 1st of September for a full week. Is it in full swing by then or should I wait a week or two?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Rut

Peak of the bugling rut is probably Oct 1st. The closer you get to that, the more bugling you will hear if it is not hot and you don't have excessive hunting pressure. Both of those can shut them up.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 PM

I'm right here in Wyoming and chase them Wapiti's every year.
Peak of the rut is going to be sometime in the 3rd or 4th week of Sept.
When the Aspens are turning. Ruts can last into October, and Elk can have a "late rut" later in October, but the primary time known as the peak of the rut is 3rd week of sept.
I prefer the pre-rut myself. When the bulls are getting their voice. They haven't haremed up their cows yet. They are rubbing trees, wallowing, running each other off. And reacting more to your calls than during the rut. They are hard to get away from the harem when the rut is in full swing. But are eager to investigate that brush bull or cow call just before the peak.
Don't know where you are planning to go, but be prepared for any kind of weather! From t-shirt luches to 8" of snow. Very unprdictable weather in the Rockies in Sept.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

game4lunch hit the nail on the head. I have my best luck in the first week though asthe oldest cows will come into cycle the middle to the end of august. The larger bulls will be seeking out the already hot cows at this time. This will be going on in areas that have a larger percentage of older cows. Meaning areas with less pressure and a lower rate of filled cow tags from previous years. Sounds like you will be going with someone, so you won't have the advantage of looking around preseason, so the 3rd week may be the best to insure a better hunt as that is when the peak rut kicks in.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: trt sniper

When is the best time to go to Colorado to get the best of the elk rut in? I plan on going the 1st of September for a full week. Is it in full swing by then or should I wait a week or two?
Go at the beggining.
In Northern BC the buggling get goin about the 5th of Sept or so, and builds up the next few weeks to a fever.
The start of the bugle means the bulls are alone and no cows to screw up a stalk.Also they may come in, but if not will tend to hold their ground allowing you to stalk them.
Remember........... the bulls are bugling to send a location to the ladies and not to "challenge" other bulls as many hunters think. Get your head around that and you will do fine.
good luck
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 AM

I've often wondered; if the length of daylight kicks Elk into their rut, why wouldn't the rut start sooner the farther north you go like Northern BC? For instance, because of the difference in latitude, the amount of daylighton Sept 5th is lessin North. BC than in Colorado. (??)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM

game4lunch,
The rut actually starts the same time each year. It is instict to start the rut. The weather, hunting pressure,length of daylight,and other factors will determine the activity level of the elk. It has to start the same time due to gestation period. If it is too early then the calves would not survive the late snow storms of the spring. If it is too late then the calves will not be big enough to survive the early snow. You are right on the money when you said the rut can go into October. Cows only stay in estrus for a short period of time. If they do not get bred then they come into cycle again in 14 days. So the rut will go as long as cows are coming into cycle. Elkcrazy is correct when he stated that early can be better. It all depends on when you like to hunt and what type of activity you like.
Good luck to all,
elkaholicid
Michael
Old 01-07-2006, 12:54 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

I've been hunting Wapiti in CO for the last seven years and concur with the above postings. I hunt every weekend and then the last ten days of the season. The rut can very GREATLY on the weather and hunting pressure. What unit are you heading to? I might be able to get you some userful information. Send me and email [email protected]
Old 01-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pretty good link on the elk rut. Not sure it clears much up.http://www.trmichels.com/PeakBuglingDates.htm
Old 01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I've often wondered; if the length of daylight kicks Elk into their rut, why wouldn't the rut start sooner the farther north you go like Northern BC? For instance, because of the difference in latitude, the amount of daylighton Sept 5th is lessin North. BC than in Colorado. (??)
Daylite is indeed the trigger (or lack there of .) In the spring when there is a coresponding measure of daylite , often elk tend to then bugle also.I believe there may still be more light in Northern BC at the beginingof Sept but need to check on this. The rut always starts about the same time. What changes is the level of activity. Because you don't hear a buggle does not mean the elk aren't bein social, just low key.
The whitetail and mulies rut here mid Nov, not sure when in Colorado.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.