Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana's Unlimted Bighorns >

Montana's Unlimted Bighorns

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana's Unlimted Bighorns

Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana's Unlimted Bighorns

Montana is the only place(in lower 48)where one can get a Bighorn tag on the first try, in specific units. I've heard the hunting is extremely difficult though. Has anyone hunted Montana's Unlimited Bighorn Units?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Montana's Unlimted Bighorns

I did not hunt there, but I was in the beartooths last year on my way back home from a hunting trip. This is one of the units ( by yellowstone ). Very rugged country, also a decent amount of grizzlies around. You would have to be in good shape to tackle it.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reading upa lot about it. It sounds like an extremely challenging hunting, both physical and mental. Read a few stories where guys hiked for over 40 days, and over 100 milesbefore seeing a shooter, and making the shot. It's not the physical part that scares me, but maybe not finding any sheep after2-3 weeks, is what does. It'd be hard to be away from a a job for such a long time. Thanks for any info you guys might know.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

The other challenge is that there are guides who camp on those bighorns all summer. Once the quota is met the hunt is over is my understanding of it. Having said that I have a friend who got a tag and hiked in the day before the season. The next morning he went to fill his water blatter and there was a legal ram watering there. He shot his ram and was back to work on Monday.

Nemont
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 AM

It's not quite one of those "diamond in the rough" type finds. While it seems appealing, it's a very difficult hunt. The terrian is brutal and full of grizzlies. In the quota system, as soon as the quota is filled, the hunt is over. Essentially, you have very rough terrain, needle in the haystack type of find, and a limited amount of time to close the deal. Tough hunt.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM

And-on top of everything else-it is your responsibiliy to know when the quota has been reached and to stop your hunt- unless that has been changed recently.
Most of us here in Montana-if not all- were particularly perplexed by that reasoning.
Government at it's flaky best.
Leep out: