Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Help - Idaho elk hunt advice >

Help - Idaho elk hunt advice

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Help - Idaho elk hunt advice

Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help - Idaho elk hunt advice

Whoohoo!! Got one of the good tags for next fall in the Selway units. Anyone have any tips on where to go over there? I seen a few of you cough *huntngrl* cough that hunt ID for elk and have success so if you could just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Man, I'm so pumped! Any bull, during the rut, with my rifle. I can't wait!! If anyone else is hunting this tag let me know, would be cool to meet either during the hunt or for some pre-scouting this summer.

This will be my first ever chance to shoot a big bull. I've been applying here in Wa. for the last 9 years for a big bull tag but have never been drawn. Might have to buy a deer tag which is good for the same period while I'm there.

Thanks in advance for any tips. I've been elk and deer hunting in E. WA for the last 10 years but this is the most excited I've been in a long time.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help - Idaho elk hunt advice

I don't know much about hunting the selway units, but the panhandle reqion sure has plenty of elk. I primarily hunt units 1-2-4. As you mentioned. Scouting is the key!! I used to live in east wenatchee back in the 80's. Good Luck!!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Double-Lung. I'm sure we'll be over there a few times this summer looking around. I do have a friend with a father-in-law that lives in Grangeville and used to hunt elk in that area so I'm sure he and his buddies will help us out. Sure will be nice to hunt for any bull instead of the lousy elk hunting here where you can only shoot a spike. Last several years success rate in WA is only 6%. Pretty crappy. ID has a 25% success rate in this unit with almost half of those being 6 point or better bulls.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unit 17.... thats all you need to know
Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

what unit is your tag for?

I hunt unit 16 and have great success. (2 bulls 300+ B&Cthe last 3 years)

PM me for specific info.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help. We figured 17 was the best looking. The tag is good for 16A, 17, 19, & 20.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Did you get an A tag or B tag?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

B tag baby! Woot!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

I guided in 17 for several years and have taken elk out of all the units you listed. Parts of those areas are pretty much horse country.PM me and let me know your plan of attack, I'll let you know what I would do.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Oh man thats the good one, my dad and I tried like heck but couldnt get through to get one. Looks like A tags for us this year.

Quick Reply: Help - Idaho elk hunt advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.