Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Getting in shape for altitude?? >

Getting in shape for altitude??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting in shape for altitude??

Old 11-27-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Getting in shape for altitude??

Hi all. This last Oct, I scored my first Elk in the Chama area of NM. I have not even shot a deer yet! Anyway, it was an incredible experience.
I come from about 500' above sea level. I exercised for th trip. MAinly running and biking with crunches thrown in. I got to where I could run 3 miles in 40 minutes without stopping and still have enough oomph leftto do my job that day (BARELY!!). I am 42 and I thought I was in fair shape. BUT THE ALTITUDE!! I don't think it was anything but the altitude that killed me. Becasue I couldn't breath up at 8000-9500', my stamina, ability to keep up with the guide, and even sleep cycles went to pot.
My question is, Did I need to be in even better shape? Should I have run wind sprints too? Is therre anything one can do to pre prepare the body for low oxygen when you know you are going up to altitude? Or am I just a middle aged ***** with a pace maker LOL
Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting in shape for altitude??

I don't run myself.What I do instead is to walk some hiking trails with steep hills at a brisk pace.I then add weights to my pack to make the workout harder.As far as the altitude goes,All that I can recommend is that you drink large amounts of water as it seems to make things easier.None of us are getting younger.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:23 PM

okc do what an outfitter once told me to do when getting ready for a highland hunt, jog with a plastic bag over your head!!!

I live at a mighty 380ft above sea level. When I hunted in the Gila in NM the altitude was "only" 7k-9k but it still nearly killed me and I was in my 20s and had actually joined Golds Gym and started training the summer before the hunt. I just am not sure you can EVER really train for the lack of oxygen, lol not unless you wear that bag over your head ALL the time.

As was said, keep well hydrated. Water helps keep oxygen in the body and if you get dehydrated it basically doubles the effects of oxygen starvation. Cardio is really the key if you are otherwise healthy. Anyone can walk miles and even jog to get their body in generally good shape. But without a superfit cardio system, you just aren't gonna be able to do anything!
RA
Old 11-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said, drink plenty of water!! Also, time is needed to aclimate to the elevation. I live at 6000 feet and work at 6500. I camped this year for my elk hunt at just over 8000, and we hunted at about 10,000 feet. It still took my a couple of days to fully adjust, but I was drinking plenty of water. I also have a reduced lung capacity due to a month and a half long bout I had with pneumonia in 2003. There is a bunch of scar tissue that will neverrepair itself, nor be replaced, so I have to live withit.

I would recommend the next time you head out west, to go at least 2 days early to adjust. If your body doesn't adjust, it can not only be a pain, but be FATAL!! Good luck

Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hi OKC:

Glad you had a successful hunt!

The water is most important. However, 3 miin 40 min is not even getting close to anaerobic excercise, which is what you need. 3 mi in 20 min would bebetter. You probably got in much better shape than you were, but, you now know what altitude does to the body.

I would do short bursts (e.g. windsprints), resting as needed, rather than waste your time on "garbage miles" that really aren't helping you beyond a certain point.

Also, remember, it doesn't matter how much work you have done at sea level, going to 9k' is going to be an adjustment for anyone.

Good luck,
CE
Old 11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

okcmco:

You didn't specify what your weight was. If you are overweight, it is going to be harder than if you are "right weighted." I'm 6' 2" tall and my weight should be less than 195 LBS or I'm considered "overweight" according to the Body Mass Index scale. Figure out what your weight should be and get there. Additionally, think about doing wind sprints or other "interval" training.

Of course, maybe your bloody guide was just a hard azz and was trying to make you feel small. It isn't a race and the victory is not always to the swiftest.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 PM

a fat mcdonald eating slob can adjust to the higher elevations in as much time as a wind sprinting marathoner.
It takes your body 30 full days to completely adjust to a significant altitude change. Google it and you will find alot of helpful info.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: okcmco

Hi all. This last Oct, I scored my first Elk in the Chama area of NM. I have not even shot a deer yet! Anyway, it was an incredible experience.
I come from about 500' above sea level. I exercised for th trip. MAinly running and biking with crunches thrown in. I got to where I could run 3 miles in 40 minutes without stopping and still have enough oomph leftto do my job that day (BARELY!!). I am 42 and I thought I was in fair shape. BUT THE ALTITUDE!! I don't think it was anything but the altitude that killed me. Becasue I couldn't breath up at 8000-9500', my stamina, ability to keep up with the guide, and even sleep cycles went to pot.
My question is, Did I need to be in even better shape? Should I have run wind sprints too? Is therre anything one can do to pre prepare the body for low oxygen when you know you are going up to altitude? Or am I just a middle aged ***** with a pace maker LOL
Yup,

Sure sounds like you should get in better shape. If I were in your position, I would.......(first talk to your physician about beginning an exercise program).....1. Exercise at an age predicted heart rate. 220-42= 178. Take that number...178...and multiply by .85 and by .65...

This gives you a target heart rate of between 150 and 114. Keep your exercise continuous, at the range listed, for 30 minutes at least 3 times per week and you will increase your cardiovascular health. Since your issue seems to revolve around breathing difficulties (oxygen debt) at altitude, your best option is to perform aeorbic exercise instead of anaerobic exercise. Swimming, running, biking, etc. are all good exercises. While walking with a loaded pack will provide an increase in ability to carry load, it will not increase the ability of your respiratory system to process oxygen.

It may seem kind of odd, but, you will need to create a situation where you create an oxygen debt (via the above aerobic training) when you train in order to be able to more efficiently use the available oxygen molecules at altitude. The percentage of oxygen is the same, but, because of the decrease in air pressure at altitude, the molecules are further apart...your body has to work a bit harder to utilize them. Training your body to adapt to oxygen debt will help that process.

Walking with a continuously weighted pack is a good idea for building up strength in the legs, back, shoulders, etc., and should be a part of your program.

As other folk have posted, you must stay hydrated. Drink water and more water. Caffiene and alcohol, if not taken to excess, will not harm you. Caffiene may provide some relief as it acts as vaso-dilator (makes vessels bigger) and will allow more oxygen to be carried throughout the body. However, at about the 5 cup or so (assuming a 5 ounce cup) it will likely begin to act as a vasoconstrictor. If you drink coffee, hot chocolate, sodas, us it sparingly. If you camp/hunt in a dry area, be espcially active in drinking water.

Windsprints can help, but (because they are primarily anaerobic in nature) will not increase your ability to process more oxygen nearly as much as staying within the age predicted heart rate zone mentioned above. They will give you some added leg strength.

BTW, I would not get hung up on BMI or body weight as it is used as a guide only. It is likely a very accurate guide for most of the population. However, of far more importance (especially for cardivascular health) is body fat percentage.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes dealing with the attitudes are my problem too.

Bobby
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 AM

Here's a crazy idea that might work. One month before your hunt (you'll have already been training) go donate blood. Take a two day break and drink lots of water and get plenty of protein (the american diet doesn't really need extra, just make sure its good quality **eggs**) After the two days resume training, 1. your body will have less RBC to carry oxygen (somewhat simulating less available oxygen) AND 2. you'll body will kick in the erithropoetin (sp) hormone responsible for RBC production. You should be back up to regular blood volume in a months time but still be producing erithrpoetin. (You body slowly turns on the "valve" to "epo" production which is why it takes a while for you to acclimate)

Idunno, may be just the ticket and It can't hurt you, study's show that only MAX excertion (sp?) is effected after two weeks.

Quick Reply: Getting in shape for altitude??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.