Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 .300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed? >

.300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed?

Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM

Default .300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed?

I've been shooting standard 180 gr core lokts in my .300 win and have not been impressed w/ the results from the last two elk I've taken. I am looking at Hornady's 180 gr spire point heavy magnum which sounds like a very hot load, Winchester Failsafe in 180 gr, or Federal Nosler Partitions in a 200 gr load which also sounds like a hot load. The only use this rifle sees is elk so I don't need a multi-purpose round. I know final say comes down to accuracy but I have been leaning towards Hornady due to price and ballistics but have been unable to hear any feedback on the heavy magnum load. I have a few buddies that have been shooting the failsafes and both w/ good results but if I'm going to make a switch I want the best round I can find w/in reason. Any input appreciated.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed?

The best factory load I have used was for my wifes 300-win mag. It was Federal Premium ammo loaded with 180-grain Nosler Partition bullets.This ammo groups well in both of our 300-win mags. (I shoot handloads but have tried her ammo in my rifle.) The Nosler Partition is also a good bullet choice for elk sized game.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Winchester Fail-Safe, or Nosler Partitions. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

I would take a look at the 180 Grain Federal Barnes Triple Shock. They have a better BC than the Partition and TBBC and the downrage energy of the Triple Shock load is actually higher than the High Energy loads. There have been some recent posts with stellar results having 90% weight retention and 2 times plus expansion.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 AM

I think any of the loads you mentioned would work fine. I'm a Nosler partition fan myself, but thats just personal preference. You might consider reloading. It is very rewarding.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 PM

I appreciate the input, it looks like I might be going w/ the Nosler Partitions. From all I've read it doesn't sound like you can go wrong w/ them.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used partitions as well as several other bulletsfor elk and moosebut the most impressive by far has been the barnes tsx.More penetration and weight retension than a partition and great expansion as well.They also shoot more accurately in my rifles.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:23 AM

I prefer the 180 gr. Swift Scirocco or the Nosler Accubond. They will make a bigger hole through the lungs than a Partition or TSX, and still are tough enough to break big bones.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:13 PM

I reload my own ammo but with a .300 i use spire bullets. they work really well for me. They hold their together really well in flight and mushroom nice after contact. They are aslo a lot cheaper than others like nozler partitions. For faster shooting rifles though like a 7mm ultra mag they dont hold together really well but for a .300 the shoot really nice. if youve got some time and a little money to put up front youll save a lot of money and get better shooting rounds if you reload yourself. especially if you just neck resize your shells and not full resize. and with the .300 i would really suggest neck resizing because with the .300 being a belted casing youll only get maybe 2 reloads per casing because it wears that band apart after that.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I shoot the HORNADY SPIRE POINTS HEAVY MAGINUM and they work soo well in my .300 win mag. Try em out.

Quick Reply: .300 Win Mag elk load...Hornady?Win?Fed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.