Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MY FIRST ELK!!!

Old 10-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Default MY FIRST ELK!!!

I just killed my forst elk last Monday evening. My God it was a rush He was a respectable 5x5 weighing around 450-500 lbs. I took him with my guides pre-64 model 70 in 280 remington with an old burris scope. (my Mauser in .300 win mag had scope mount problems). The 150 grain bullet went trough both lungs and he went down after 30 steps. My heart was pounding. The cows and younger bulls he led scattered and after he fell I could hear the lead cow calling for him. I have to admit to a pang of regret and pity, hearing her plaintive cries and knowing I was the architect of her distress.These feelings lasted until I saw the bull who was lying where he fell. My guide came running and we cleaned the elk. I had the second biggest bull at elk camp. 7 out of 9 of us scored an elk. It was one of the defining moments of my life.
I may not be able to afford a guided hunt for a while but I definitely want to go again. Maybe archery or early gun.
Hunting rabbits will just be the same anymore.
okcmco
PS I WILL POST SOME PICS SOON!

Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MY FIRST ELK!!!

Congrats on the bull!! Any Pics? Location of hunt? Guide company name?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Nice work!!! No doubt you were on top of the world!!! Thanks for sharing!! I'll look forward to your photos!!-------ElkNut1
Old 10-30-2005, 01:10 PM

The local was the chama area or more specifically the mountains between chama and Toiera Amarilla in NM. The guide service was Apache Land and Cattle company. It was 5300 bucks not including tags. That is alot of dough for a working musician but My old drummer happens to be a Doctor. He insisted on taking me and paying all but the Gas and tags. I am lucky. But I will have enough saved in 2 years to go again. If I can get in shape enough I may opt to draw for tags and go to an Elk state with public lands and take my chances.
okcmco
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow ,congrates
Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's!