Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunt

Old 09-17-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Bear hunt

Need some help guys; please. Been going out the past weekends for black bear. found real good spots....trails, huge scat, clawed out stumps, and tree scratches.....we find really good spots with trails all over the place FRESH trails and we go back to the spots and sit and wait totally scent free but we never see nothing....we know the bears have been there within the past week or couple days....heres my question. Do Black Bears stay in the same place or on they on the move all the time? Thanks so much
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Bear hunt

once they find a reliable food sorce they'll stay in the area til it's gone, they may be moveing through your area at night.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:29 PM

I would put your tree stand as high as you possibly can in the tree. I have found out first hand that bear are like ninjas. They come in silently. I had one close enough to me to smell and never saw or heard him. The higher you can get over the bear, the better off you will be!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I would put your tree stand as high as you possibly can in the tree. I have found out first hand that bear are like ninjas. They come in silently. I had one close enough to me to smell and never saw or heard him. The higher you can get over the bear, the better off you will be
DITTO
Old 09-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The higher the better....can you bait where your at?.....some good ol molasses and popcorn will bring them around.. Hence the reliable food source already mentioned ..Good Luck........Be Safe... Hit em to kill em!!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I've read that bears will roam an area looking for food. That is why it is important to keep a bait (if you can bait) loaded with food all the time. The bear will continue to come to the bait because he knows it is there. Otherwise he will come by every few days to see if there is food there.
Yes, they are quiet. I've never heard any of the bears come into our stands. I look up and they are there. It is amazing how quiet a large animal can be.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Great information. thank you very much for helping me out. I will get up higher and hope that a bear crosses my sight. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 PM

good luck, keep us posted on how it goes. have fun and be safe.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear do tend to stick by the best deal going as far as food, much like people they will go where the best deal is. If there are two baits, one with just molasses on a stump and the other has a bunch of donuts and meats and stuff, the bears will make the choice between teh two and choose the tastier one. Where I live, a good amount of guys bear hunt so having the best buffet is key to get the best bears around and to keep them around. We own a restaurant so bait is never a problem. Grease from teh chicken friers gets them there, then meat scraps and stuff keeps them in teh area. Grease is also real good because they will track it around on their feet and attrack other bruins in the process.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Spike

Scott is right. Try also puting a trail timer and check the time that they are hitting the site and adjust accordingly