Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion >

Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion

Old 09-16-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion

Howdy,

Well, my first trip to Wyoming is coming up in a couple of weeks. We'll be hunting near Jackson Hole with a group of 12. We'll have a base camp and use pack horses to access our hunting areas. Six- Eightof the guys going have been to this same spot numerous times. Man, I can't wait... I originally applied for moose, elk, antelope and deer. I drew for antelope and deer.... maybe next year or the following for the moose and elk.

Several years ago, I purchased a Remington 700 chambered in .300 win mag for a black bear hunting trip in Heron MT. The rifle has a Leopuld 3x9 50mm Vari- X IIc scope.

I know the gun is overkill for antelope and deer, but it's what I've got and although I'd like a nice and shiny-new 25-06, .243or .270.... it is what is.

My only other gun choice would bemymidwest deer rifle- a Marlin 30-30 lever action / no scope..... not.

So, can you folk kindly recommend a good brand of ammunition, grains and bullet typefor deer and antelope for .300 win mag? The faster and flatter the better, I suppose. Too many choices out there and this is a big first trip, I'm not afraid to spend what I need to for the best ammunition. Accuracy counts.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Don.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion

Well lets see I have the same gun as you... I shoot Hornady™ 180 Grain Spire Points and they work well in my gun. I alsohave 180 grain Nosler Partitions... I would shoot the Hornadys over the partitions any day. If you really wanted you could get the Noslers in 165. But I would say the 180's are good for any type of deer sized game. I would use the 180's all around.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Moosehunter, Why not the 150 grain bullets that are available (Hornady, Remingotn etc) ? I also shoot a 300 Win Mag and I am concerned that a 180 is overkill on a whitetail. Am I missing something on shooting 150 grain coreloks and should I be shooting something bigger?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 PM

I dont have a problem with the 150 gr but I use 180's on all types of game. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:22 AM

If you don't hit a bone the 180 won't tear it up much more than a 150 personally i shoot 180's they work real good.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

300 WinMag - Iuse 165 AccuBonds on deer size and180s on elk and really like the accuracy and the way they leave my barrel clean.

I am starting to use Barnes 140 TSX in my 270. They really shoot good.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 AM

I agree with most of the opinions posted above but would add the following. The whole point of the partition bullet is that of controlled expansion. When you're hunting a large animal like elk you definitely want expansion to stop at a point and penetration to continue.
I've never shot the AccuBond bullet. Accuracy is paramount. Those two things said, an accurate shot does us little good if the bullet flattens out to the size and shape of a quarter and penetrates just beyond the hide. I didn't say that this will happen, understand. My point is this, partitions limit expansion by a physical barrier inside the bullet. Bonded bullets hold core and jacket together but do not guarantee proper performance.
I've recently switched from Partition Gold to FailSafe bulets for elk. Think controlled expansion and deep (large exit wound with a big wound channel) when hunting elk. They take a lot of killing.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM

Once you try federal Premiums you will never shoot anything else, try a box.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Antelope and deer are as think skinned as it gets. I wouldn't worry about ANY bullets blowing up of the hide. I would shoot 165g bullets. Any good soft point that shoots well in your gun would be great. Some good deer bullets are...

Remington Core-lokt
Winchester Power Point
Federal Nosler Partition

Out of those three you should find a nice shooting round in your rifle. They aren't all that bitey either with the Federals being the most expensive.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Howdy Higg:

Nice rifle!

Given it sounds like you will be huntinga wide range of game with this rifle, I would be looking for a "do-it-all"factory load (assuming you don't reload). That means a 180 gr bullet.

Let's suppose you actually did drawdeer and moose. How realistic is it to expect you to carry two loads, know the exact poi changes of each at different rangesand have the rifle shoot each round equally well. Also, don't forget, when you locate the moose, youWILL have thedeer round in the chamber. Can you reload quickly and quietly enough to still get the shot off???

I would be looking at the 180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or the Federal 180 gr Barnes Triple Shock.

Lastly, I would suggest you pick up enough boxes of ammunition from the same factory lot to ensure you can hunt for many years. At about $33/box it is a pretty inexpensive way to ensure you have uniform ammunition over time. I don't know how much you hunt (note, hunting is not the same as shooting), but with those animals, five boxeswould last me a decade.

Good luck
CE

PS "Overkill" exists only on internet forums.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 / .300 WM.....need help choosing ammuntion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.