Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose Hunting

Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moose Hunting

AK,

Old 09-10-2005, 12:07 AM

ya congrats on your harvest. Moose for me starts in the morning (in my zone) but has been open since Aug 15 1 hr from my house.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Not yet, gun season doesn't open here for another month. I can't wait though but congrats on your moose
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM

i love that gun
i have had no problems with it whatsever, the bolt doesnt want to lock without a bit of pressure, but you dont even notice when an animal is close, i am hoping we find another bull, becasuse my 13 year old brother also wants to take a moose with it
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM

Hey AK, I just got back from hunting unit 14c (Ship Creek Drainage) and blasted a 40 inch bull. Sounds about the same size. Hunt was from 6th-15th and up until last Friday, no one else had gotten one in the area. Real crappy weather, soaking wet!

Congrats on your moose, what are you making with it? I have some hot polish dogs, pastrami, hunter's sticks, etc with my name on it.

Will post pics when I get a chance.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 PM

Sticky bolt...eh!
Mine does the same thing, just needs working in, don't oil the bolt, it actually goes smoother dry. Teflon inserts.

Only problem I had was the magazine latch, it shatterd for no appearent reason. Took two seconds to fix.

My gunsmith said the magnums had the most problems because of the action being stretched out for those calibers, but my '06 is doin' fine after two years now. The magnums came out just after I bought mine.It was purchased as a back up on rainy days. And it's seen it's fair share! Even without the clip, there's enough room to load single shots with ease. And next to any other synthetic stock on the market, it feels the strongest in that price range. My only disapointment was holding the rifle the wrong way and catching the scope over the eye! Foolish newby mistake.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:45 AM

Congrats!

Here is a pic of my Dads 48" Alaska moose he took last year on the Kubuk (name??) river.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Here is a pic of my moose from last week, probably about a 4yr old, 3&2 brow tines and 40" spread.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Picture did not post!