Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear season

Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Bear season

Well, my bear season is off to a not too bad start. The weather was hot, and my walk in to my spot is about 30-35 minutes, so I was a bit sweaty. The bears are feeding in some apples, and like I thought might happn they were in there before I was, so I ended up chasing one off. Actually he I heard him tree, but rather than look for him I moved a bit and set up. About 45 minutes later he came down, and I caught a look at him as he slipped away. After that, nothing.

I might have some time on Friday to head out again. I have another spot I'll try up hill from a river and a swamp. I think I'll try sitting in a blind next time too.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Bear season

Good luck to you on your bear hunting adventures. When successful post some pics.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Flairball.... what area of MA are you hunting?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Western Ma Hunter-
I'm hunting in Cummington. I also have a few area I sometimes hit in Chesterfield, and Peru. Due to a few factors I didn't scout prior to the season, so I'm just going to areas where I've seen bear sign in the past. I'm new to bear hunting too, so I don't think my chances are very good, bit I'm trying. If you have any advice I'd be glad to listen. Anyway, what areas are you frequenting?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

A couple of guys filled their tags in Peru Tuesday... One bear was 160 and the other 120.
I took a very small one last night w/ the bow.... I am excited since it is my first bear w/ the bow, but not so excited since it was a sow that only weighed 100lb. I got caught up in the excitement. I'll post pics when I get them on the contest thread. I shot her coming into a cultivated blueberry patch.

Find the food... you'll find the bears this season...
Lots of food in the woods. Look for apples & berries. They are all over the place... Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 PM

Congrats on the bear. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. I'm glad to hear some guys have been filling tags. Hopefully their luck rubs off on me.

I'll be headed out again tomorrow. I will go to the same area, but try to set up along a trail leading into the food cover. The area I'm in has wild apples, and berries. It's pretty thick and scary too. I plan on trying to find a natural blind instead of using a tree stand. It's a 30-40 minute hike in. Too far to lug a stand. I don't have too much time either, so I'll be hunting the mid-day. Probably will have to leave around 3:30. I don't think it will matter much. I think the bears are using this area all through the day.

Anyway...
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 PM

congrats ,western ma. on your bear you got it with a bow its a trophy, i seen your pic. of her id be happy if i got her, i have my bear permit but work has been crazy this year ,, so never had a chance to scout but was looking at a place in windsor to hunt with blueberry patches, didnt make it out there yet but hope toyet..

good luck to you FLAIRBALL its about being outdoors doing somthing we love to do