Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Manitoba Black Bear?

Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Manitoba Black Bear?

Hello,Has anyone hunted black bear in Manitoba? How did you do and who did you go with? Wes
Old 09-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Manitoba Black Bear?

if you post this on the OTHER AREAS you will get a better responce
Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 PM

Hi Wes. I am from Manitoba. There are a lot of bears in the province, and some great bear hunting. A lot depends on where you are hunting. I believe the highest scoring bear in the the provincial record books scored 23 inches even. And a wide range of colour phases are present, but again some places are better than others. Hope this is some help. later Porintree
Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 PM

WesJR, I too am from Manitoba and as Porintree mentioned there are lots of bears in Manitoba but it depends where U hunt. One of things I find a new hunter to the area has is not being patient enough. There is NO reason for a person not shooting a bear in Manitoba but be patient.

To give U an idea on the number of bears in Manitoba a week ago a 68 yrs old man was out picking wild plums and was killed by a black bear about 8 miles from where I live, yes black not grizzle (we do NOT have grizzle in Manitoba) and just last Sat a guy was attacked by another black bear. The old guy went to save his dog from the bear and got both wrists chewed up but he beat on his head and the bear ran off, tough old guy. It is very unusual for bear attacks but there are very few berries this year and the bears are not really hunted and have very little fear of man.

If U are taking a guided bear hunt give a shout and I can check out the outfit for U. NO, I am not in the business, I am retired and just fish and hunt.