Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

i have a question

Old 08-24-2005, 07:51 PM

Default i have a question

would a 270 be able to shoot 500 yards for deer also could i use it for elk and black bear?j/w
Old 08-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Default RE: i have a question

The .270 Winchester will take deer sized game out to 500 yards, and I consider it marginal on elk and adequate for black bear.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .270 is certainly up to the task.

However, and don't get offended, since you are even asking this question tells me that you are not up to the task of shooting at deer 500 yards away. If you are proficient enough with a rifle to take a shot that far you wouldn't have to ask this question.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Who in the WORLD would shhot at a WT deer at 500 yards ...gezzzzzz I could not even SEE one at 500 yards much less attempt a shot ...

Roll Tide
DD

Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM

I would think that you would at least be able to get within 300 yards of the deer if you have any kind of stalking skill at all. I wouldn't think that you would have to shoot 500 yards under any conditions, maybe to try to put down a wounded animal?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:07 AM

I hear a lot of people discussing 500yd shots on deer. It never fails to irritate me. I apologize in advance if this offends you.
Yes 500yd shots are possible - but only if all conditions are perfect - if you want to shoot this far you'd better have a sandbag, a perfectly still deer at a known distance, no wind at all, good optics, handloads,and either a flat shooting rifle or a rifle you have patterned at the distances you plan to shoot.
This is fine at the range, shooting at targets, but these conditions seldom, if ever, arise in an actual hunting situation.
Go to an open field, set up a paper plate, walk anhonest 500 yards and look at it. I think this will answer your question.
Shooting at a living animal at this distance is for one thing unnecessary - if you are a hunter - hunt it - get closer. Also, it is irresponsible as your chances of wounding the deer are very large. Even if you are on him perfectly, the deer has plenty of time to take a step between the time the bullet leaves your barrel and impact.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deercorn

I hear a lot of people discussing 500yd shots on deer. It never fails to irritate me. I apologize in advance if this offends you.
Yes 500yd shots are possible - but only if all conditions are perfect - if you want to shoot this far you'd better have a sandbag, a perfectly still deer at a known distance, no wind at all, good optics, handloads,and either a flat shooting rifle or a rifle you have patterned at the distances you plan to shoot.
This is fine at the range, shooting at targets, but these conditions seldom, if ever, arise in an actual hunting situation.
Go to an open field, set up a paper plate, walk anhonest 500 yards and look at it. I think this will answer your question.
Shooting at a living animal at this distance is for one thing unnecessary - if you are a hunter - hunt it - get closer. Also, it is irresponsible as your chances of wounding the deer are very large. Even if you are on him perfectly, the deer has plenty of time to take a step between the time the bullet leaves your barrel and impact.
Very well said Deercorn and I agree with you 100%. (you don't have to whisper it though.)

Bobby
Old 08-25-2005, 11:02 AM

300 yards is my limit for deer for the most part. I know that I can hit 99 times out of 100 at that range, and it doesn't bother me at all to shoot that far. The only time I could justify that 500 yard shot would be to put down an animal that I wounded earlier, or if I NEEDED the meat for sustenance. Other than that, you really should get closer. That is my opinion!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 AM

500 yards? Please!
My father and I have ahillbilly range on his farm. It amounts to a field with a hill as a back stop. Once we decided to have a little contest with folks we know. We set up a 1 foot square piece of steel painted bright yellow out a "fair piece". Then we challenged our buddies to try and hit it with one shot. We didn't know what the distance was and range finders weren't allowed. guess how many people hit it? Thats right none! not even us. Now guess how far it ranged when we were done. Anyone? 363 yards. Not one hit from folks who have been shooting all there lives and are great shots. Before we ranged it most guessed the distance at 500 yards +/-. My point is that 500 yards is a pretty rediculous distance and very few hunters,myself included, have the skills to kill an animal humanely beyond 350 yards.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

10-4, Shato!

Quick Reply: i have a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.