Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ARCHERY  ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr >

ARCHERY ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ARCHERY ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr

Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Default ARCHERY ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr

I am going on a Archery ELK hunt witha an outfitter that hunt s a region from North Central Colorado near Walden all the way to south central WY near Encampment. elvation over the area range from 6900 to 9300FT.

I have tags in both Col and WY andam anxious to hear about this area. Iit is a partial cattle ranch that encopnasses the Noth Platte river

Anyone else hunted this Area before I would love to hear what your results ahve been. My expecatiaon are for Bulls in the 250 - 320 aera and lots of action. I mean lots.

Love to hear in anyone has hunted near this area!!

THANKS
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 AM

Default RE: ARCHERY ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr

I have hunted the area north of there in wyoming 3 times. Pretty decent amount of elk on the public ground. did not have to much problem finding animals. We are going to be hunting in colorado this year. Didnt draw the wyo tags. Seems like about the 10th or so they start getting pretty cranked up. When are you going?
Good luck
Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Default RE: ARCHERY ELK: looking for inforamtion around north of WALDEN COL to medicine bow & Routt NAt Foresr

We are leaving Sept 14 and hunting through the 23 have tags in both COL and WY!! is this an area know for anything? lots of action ?nice herb? etc?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Not sure what you mean about what the place is known for? Herb ?what time is it any way? anyhow there are alot of elk around and the time frame is about right. I have not hunted the colorado side but the wyoming side is usually pretty void of people hint hint.What areas are you going to hunt? And why did you buy the colorado tag if you already have the wyoming tag?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 PM

notaot of people I hope will be a good thing. The purpose of buying a colorado tag is hunt there when and if I KIlll in Wyoming since I have already spent all the $$ to travel that far and have ten days to hunt!

LOOKING forward to it in a big way!!!!

THANKS
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 AM

I've hunted both the Little Snake and the Encampment/Blackhall side in Wyo.. I hope your in good shape, you'll need to be, you should see a lot of elk! the winters have not been real bad and this year theres been good feed for them. I wouldn't hold out for a 400 bull we see an odd one come out of there each year but you could get on to some in the 340+ range if your outfitter is worth his salt. Take a fishing pole, you'll wish you had. Weather will be 80° to 20°, with sun, rain, sleet and snow possible all in the same day. There are hot springs near Steamboat/Grambie and in Saratoga.
One last thing be sure the water is safe, DO NOT DRINK FROM SPRINGS or STREAMS unless it has been purified.