Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Outfitter................. >

Colorado Outfitter.................

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Outfitter.................

Old 08-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Colorado Outfitter.................

Looking for a little help. I am looking for a reputable outfitter in CO. for a 06 Elk hunt. I am from the Southeast and have never been Elk hunting before. I am a experienced hunter (in my part of the country) and realize that the first time would be difficult on my own. My budget for the hunt would be modest at best, probably about 3K max. Any help you guys out there could suggest would be greatly appreciated! Be happy to swap info on Deer, Turkey, or ducks in the Southeast.

Please help............I got the itch real bad!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that rifle hunting will be my preferred method.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Outfitter.................

If you are an experienced hunter you really can plan your own DIY (do it yourself)trip. I think that is one of the parts I enjoy most about elk hunting (the planning), however it does take some time. I could do my DIY hunt for 4 years before it cost me $3000, and that is figuring in the tag cost each year. You have come to the right place if you need any questions answered on a DIY hunt.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could also check out some DIY private land tresspass hunt. You could have some access to private land to hunt on your own, but without fighting crowds. Access is usually good, so it wouldn't be as physically demanding. However, if you have your heart set on a wilderness hunt, an outfitter may be the best bet. I know of a ranch in Colorado that I have hunted that is good. However, they need a group of at least 4 guys to be worth their while to lease it. I know of a few reputable outfitters also. If interested, email me privately and I will tell you what I know.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM

A fully guided elk for $3,000 would be a real bargain. Most go for closer to $5K. Your best bet would be to hope for a cancelation. Most Outfitter require a nonrefundable down payment of 1/2 the trip cost. when someone cancel you can find trips for greatly reduced rates. The problem is that they are generally very short notice. Another optionwould be a 2on 1 hunt. 2 hunters, 1 guide sometimes you can find those for around $3500.Drop camp might be another option. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fully guided for 3K? Not a chance, you have to figure on top of the money to the outfitter, you have license cost, around $500 , then airfare/travel, another couple hundred so you are talking more like 2K for the hunt. You can find good ones for under 4K, but under 3K would be tough.

DIY or drop camp, if you are willing, might fit the bill.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:49 PM

I hunt on my own in colorado every year on public ground. I only spend about a$1,000 to $1200a year. $500 for license, $300 for gas and food ( there are usually 3 of us going to split the cost of gas and food ) about $200 for butcher bill if you kill. The taxidermist is extra of course, and so areany souveniors.
Because I hunt on my own however, I don't have anyone providing a place to stay so I use a tent, I don't have anyone locating the elk for me (which means that a lot of my time is spent looking for elk)or providing a way into of out of the woods. I do my own calling and when I kill one, I cut it up myself and pack it out by backpack. I do my own cooking and cleaning too.
Personally, I prefer it this way, but if you want to increase your odds of takingan elk, then I suggest that you do use an outfitter. They usually havea better idea of where to go. And they take care of all those other things for you. But, all my researchtells me thatit is very expensive.
I wish you all the luck I can though.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all of the replies so far, I just talked with Action Adventures in SW CO. His hunts are $3850 and he is almost booked up for 06 already! Said he was hunting in unit 65, anybody familiar with this area? I would love to do it myself but If a guide familiar with the area is not always successful how could a greenhorn from TN come out there and stand a chance? I also looked @ Adventures Wild guide service who offers a trespass hunt for $1800, but the guy was quick to point out that the area was managed for quantity not quality and anything past a raghorn is unusual! This hunt is in the Craig, CO. area.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Spike

I am by no means an expert at elk hunting. Three weeks from now I will be on my second 1 week hunt. Four of us bow hunt public land near Montrose, Co. We bring all of our camping gear and plenty of BS to share over the fire. Just seeing the country is worth every penny it cost to get out there and get a license. Add in the stories told and memories made and its a true bargin. Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of desireto harvest an animal but it won't be required to make it a succesful hunt. Last season our group tool a 2X2 mulie, a cowand a 6X6 elk. Beginners luck I guess but it just goes to show that a good hunt can be had without an outfiter.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:08 AM

Your going to spend close to 5k or moreon a fully guided Col. hunt, when all said and done. I would say on average most guided Elk hunt are less the 50% succesfulin Colorado. Personally I would go on a guided cow hunt for 1200 plus license or DIY hunt with trespass fee if you can find good land. You should learn alot on that guided cow hunt, use that info on your next hunt DIY or drop camp hunt. I have hunted elk once, happen to bein Colorado DIY cow hunt.
If you want to shoot a Good bull, save upmore money, plan on around 6k-9k and hunt New Mexico black powder in the rut, should have 80% or better shot at a good braggin-size Elk with a top outfitter. The old saying you can go ontwo or more Guided ELK hunts in Col orWy and you might get a shot at 340& up class bull or spend the big $$$ and goto New Mexico and kill one.
I am no elk hunting expert, thats for sure. For what I have researched, the hunters who get skunked and re-book thoseguided hunts the most,are bow hunters. Because they are hunting Elk in the rut and they say nothing compares to it.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the DIY hunt in colo. We do it usually every year if we can. We stay in a small motel in Baggs wyoming and hunt serviceberry mountain and black national forest outside of Craig Colo. Last trip there were four of us and we took a 5 pt mulie, a 5X5 bull and a 6X6 bull. We also had another trip with 6 guys and every single person had shooting. If you ask around enough you should get enough info to have a good trip. Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Colorado Outfitter.................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.