Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack Hunt List

Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pack Hunt List

Was wondering if some of you more experienced backpack hunters would give my gear list a look to see if I'm missing anything. I will be in the Sawtooths of Idaho from Oct 15-24th.

Sleeping Bag (Rated 20 degrees)
Sleeping Mat
Tent
Dehydrated food
Instant Oatmeal
Cereal/Granola Bars
Dried Fruit/Jerky
External Frame Pack
Compact Propane Burner (for boiling water for food/drinking)
Powdered Drink Mixes
Rifle/Shells
Binocs
two pair boots
3 pair socks
two pair pants
two shirts
one medium weight jacket
First Aid Kit
Cups/Mess Kit
Raingear
Camera
Game Bags
Fire Starter

We will have four people to shoulder the load, so if you have any suggested additions/deletions, please let me know.

thanks,
JJ
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pack Hunt List

Hi JJ:

Are you going in for the entire season? How far in will you be hiking? Are you all staying in the same tent?

Map, compass, GPS, flashlight/headlamp, knives & other game cleaning gear (sharpening stone), game calls, liner socks, "safety stuff", e.g. orange vest etc and don't forget your TAG!

I don't know how cold it will be, but we get always get to 10 degrees during the October seasons athigher CO elevations. Make sure your bag is sufficient. I would'nt bother with two pair of boots, but you might consider a pair of lighter shoes for around camp. I no longer carry dehydrated food. Expensive, not enough calories and plenty of good, light stuff in the grocery store. When hiking (in & out), I wear a pair of shorts and then only carry one pair of pants. Bring a toothbrush so you don't scare your buddies. Last year I stole a bunch of baby wipes from my son to washwith and they worked very well, unless you like jumping in cold lakes (ecologically unsound??). I also carry in a larger water container (empty) and end up filling it closer to camp, is very convenient than only haveing a quart or two on hand. Seal the end of your barrel with electrical tape.

Good luck,
CE
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

ColoradoElk

We'll be staying for 8-10 full hunting days. We'll be packing about 3-5 miles in from the trailhead. Also, we will be bringing two tents (one smaller and on e larger tent). I want two pairs of boots because we won't be making a fire and if one pair gets wet......you know. We were planning on packing in two days early to get camp setup, boil about 5 gal of water and locate some elk....
Old 08-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Hi JJ:

If you are only going in five miles, you willbe better off just packingwater in those 2.5 gallon plastic containers at the grocery store (and they make GREAT boxes for packing out your garbage and are easy to hangto keep your trash/food away from the bears,a slit down the top and you have great storage, collapsible when needed). I would much rather carry in water than boil it in a 2/4/6/8/10/12 quart pan and lose 90%, and burn a bunch of fuel.If you are packing in two days early, one guy should have plenty of time topack in more water than you would need for the entire hunt.

Since you will be so close to the trailhead, consider leaving the 2nd pair of boots, pants et al in your vehicle, in case they are needed. Leave additional backup gear, e.g. food, water, clothing, extra cartridges and even a rifle,in the vehicle so you can get to it.

You don't need a fire starter if you won't be starting a fire.

Have you done this before?

CE
Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see your packing in advance...
But your not planning on making a Fire?????
I can tell you right now your hunts a failure,if you don't change your mind ..Fire and water /shelter are the3 most important things you need.
But that is my opinion.
I agree with the person who suggested one pair of boots..and bring moccossins.Light and easy to pack.
I would also suggest a Swiss Army Knife in your gear Spoon, Fork etc, all come in handy in one little pack.
You may want want to get rid of the sleeping mat..It will just add unnecessary weight and take up space.
Separate your socks and place them in your sleeping bag before you roll it up.If you can roll some of your food in with you sleeping bag as well to save space.
Don't forget,this space saving is critical when you hike in because lets hope you'll be hiking out with an animal as well as your gear.
Just some tips..Good Luck On Your Hunt
Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will want a fire in the Sawtooths at that time of year. I camped up there a couple of weeks ago, and it was in the 40's at night. This is when it was in the 100's during the day here in the valley. Stanley(right at the foot of the Sawtooths), is usually on the nations extremes for the coldest temps. Make sure that your bag is a good one, and you just may have to fire up the heater to thaw out your water. I hunt in an area that is close to the temps that the Sawtooths have, and had to skip the teeth brushing because the toothpaste was frozen. Beautiful country though and lots of elk....................
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget a hatchet,One of your most important tools.. bring a bag of nylon rope or bungy cords.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would take more clothes. your sweat would start stinkin after a while.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see beer on your list.
Bobby
Old 08-03-2005, 06:24 AM

The beer will probably freeze, bring whiskey and you can use it for antifreeze or fire starter...
RobinHood36>>>=============<>

Quick Reply: Pack Hunt List

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.