HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   270...elk cartridge? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/106295-270-elk-cartridge.html)

ShatoDavis 07-21-2005 02:49 PM

270...elk cartridge?

Why haven't we had this argument in a couple weeks? What's up? :D:D:D:D:D

PKnTX 07-21-2005 02:53 PM

RE: 270...elk cartridge?

While we're at it, is poaching OK if you have a really good reason?
:eek:

ShatoDavis 07-21-2005 02:59 PM

Yeah thats the ticket. Lets get an argument going. I'm bored and I can't wait for september. So, someone argue with me to take my mind off it. I'll start:

a 270 is nothing more than a over glorified pellet gun. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider using a 270 on anything larger than a Prairie dog. If you are one of those no brain idiots who carries a 270 I think your hunting previlidges should be revoked for life.[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Hunter06FlKy 07-21-2005 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

a 270 is nothing more than a over glorified pellet gun. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider using a 270 on anything larger than a Prairie dog. If you are one of those no brain idiots who carries a 270 I think your hunting previlidges should be revoked for life.[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
lmao!!! obviously any person in his right mind would know that you need at least the newest and most powerful super dupper high end magnum to kill anything larger than a rabbit.

bigbulls 07-21-2005 08:04 PM

No kidding. I think the mods just oughta pin this topic and all of its respoonses to the top of the forum. It has got to be the most discussed topic ever.

I think my poor, only a little bit, dead elk may rise up one day cause I only killed them sort of dead with a .270 as opposed to really really dead with a 378 Weatherby. ;)

rather_be_huntin 07-22-2005 02:00 PM

Wolf reintro. What do you think?

PKnTX 07-22-2005 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Wolf reintro. What do you think?

I think it's a good idea. I hear there's alot of prey opportunity
for them in Washington DC. Nice and fat, easy to catch with
little fur, no horns or sharp hooves. Just a thought.

PKnTX

rather_be_huntin 07-22-2005 03:00 PM

PKnTX...actually the Washington DC herd does have horns and they carry pitchforks. They're just real good at hiding both.

PKnTX 07-22-2005 05:00 PM

I stand corrected. "Save the wolves, leave 'em be".

PKnTX

Howler 07-23-2005 06:25 AM

the 270 on elk,... most debated question....maybe, ....maybe not.......what about the .223 for deer.........what about the 17 hmr for coyote..........about the "neck shot" debate...... what it all comes down to is what state you hunt......after all , if you hunt elk in CO., they are small so the .270 is just fine, ....if you hunt deer in TX., ...the .223 is just fine..,, ..and if you hunt coyotes in AZ.,.... the 17 hmr is just fine...and if you hunt behind high fences... the neck shot is just fine;):)[8D]:D:Dya right!!!
I say use the biggest gun you have for all of them....preferably a .375H&H or bigger!![:o]

ELKampMaster 07-24-2005 03:13 PM

Zzzzzzzz....

October will be here soon enough.

Going thru the elk supplies getting everything laid out, repairedand gathered up ready for packing the trailer in September for October's trip. More licenses to order in August and the horse rental order isset to go in.

Entertainment continues withocassional rabbit hunts with my partner usingthe 416 Rigbyand the 458 Lott.

Practice, substitute species for training, plan ahead.
Avoid the last minute "crunch."
There is plenty to keep busy.

Hunter06FlKy 07-24-2005 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

Entertainment continues withocassional rabbit hunts with my partner usingthe 416 Rigbyand the 458 Lott.
elk you better be careful. it sounds like you might be a little under gunned for those rabbits!!! they're viscous animals make your first shot count and be ready fora second!!!;) if there's anything left of course. [&:]

Montana Bob 07-24-2005 04:50 PM

elk you better be careful. it sounds like you might be a little under gunned for those rabbits!!! they're viscous animals make your first shot count and be ready fora second!!!;) if there's anything left of course. [&:]
Don't laugh I have seen them rabbits he speaks of:D

ELKampMaster 07-24-2005 05:17 PM

I've got plenty of "traditional" rabbit hunting rifles/shotguns that are not nearly so overkill for jack rabbit hunting;
however, that is not the purpose of the exercise....

Fast action, close in, with accuracy being at a premium while using Big Bore riflesis the mission at hand.

Cute photos though, MontanaBob

Elkcrazy8 07-24-2005 11:58 PM

Holy cow, you sure are trying to start some lively debate here. I prefer sticks myself. 550 grains with a coc broadhead should get em quick. That would be like a big bore in the rifle world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 83 foot pounds of KE on a pinpoint.

usens 07-25-2005 12:12 AM

lmao i guess u gays need all that power my uncle uses a 243 to hunt elk never lost 1 yet

wyomingtrapper 07-25-2005 11:45 AM

Some of you guys need to get some off season hobbies! lol

ELKampMaster 07-25-2005 12:23 PM

Hmmm,

Pretty narrow and short horizons there, usens.

Hunter06FlKy 07-25-2005 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: usens

lmao i guess u gays need all that power my uncle uses a 243 to hunt elk never lost 1 yet
just to let you know we aren't being serious. it's a joke.

rather_be_huntin 07-25-2005 02:49 PM

Well my family actually invented the 243 back in 500 B.C. They kept it a secret because it was such an effective elk cartridge. We have been using that cartridge for 2,505 years and do you know what? No elk has ever made it out of it's tracks. With the family tree growing and accounting for certain family members not being interested in hunting, we have shot 1,276,859 elk and not a one of them needed a follow-up shot. You big bore guys have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to elk hunting!

ShatoDavis 07-26-2005 08:16 AM

243?! 243? 243?! (ala jim mora's "playoffs?")

pellet gun! I guess you shoot for the neck too? :eek:

Come on now, we can argue better than this, surely!

How bout this: The 270 is a far superior cartridge to the 30-06.
Or: anyone who hunts on private land isn't really a hunter.

manboy 07-26-2005 04:42 PM

shato i would argue with u but u already proved to me on more than one occasion that u are an idiot!:Dlol.

dick_cress 07-26-2005 08:14 PM

Jack O'Conner was not slouch when it came to hunting and his favorite rifle was a .270. I shouldn't enter this fracus I'm a bowhunter.

ShatoDavis 07-27-2005 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: manboy

shato i would argue with u but u already proved to me on more than one occasion that u are an idiot!:Dlol.
[8D]Then by all means educate me oh great one! [:'(] Oh well, I guess its so close to season that everyone is at peace with their inner child and don't want a spirited arguement. Thats cool! I hope everyone realizes that I was just joking and really didn't believe any of the things I said earlier in this thread.

Rebel Hog 07-27-2005 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Yeah thats the ticket. Lets get an argument going. I'm bored and I can't wait for september. So, someone argue with me to take my mind off it. I'll start:

AS long as it not against the law, I will keep on useing the PELLET gun![8D][8D][8D][8D]
I also have an A-bolt in .338 and a BLR in .358, but the PELLET gun will
do.

ShatoDavis 07-28-2005 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

AS long as it not against the law, I will keep on useing the PELLET gun![8D][8D][8D][8D]
I also have an A-bolt in .338 and a BLR in .358, but the PELLET gun will
do.

Fine by me, if you want to be "undergunned" and worry about things like "shot placement".[8D]

ELKampMaster 07-28-2005 11:00 AM

Shato,

ThoughI tend to hunt with larger cartridges than most folks would use for a given game specie, I still very much focus on careful,informed aiming (what some folks like tothinkof as"shot placement")regardless of the "power advantage"I may have. Igenerally advocateusing a big stick AND hitting themwhere it counts most! (which is completely doable inspite of what the "recoil naysayers"promote as gospel.)

IMHO,going with a friskier cartridge andbetter qualitybulletsthan what is generally considered"marginal" or just "adequate"allowsone more options and more leewayin choosingHOWyou're going to punch the critter's ticket without having them hold freeze framefor a perfect pose.

I always felt better packing out elk quarters than I did just packing out excuses about the shotopportunity(things were just, just not quite right, if only he would have, then I could have, and then....bull pucky.... kind ofa pitiful refrain to be singin', IMHO ---are you out there to kick some elk arse or not?).:D:D:D
-------------------------

I reckon that oughta get things going. ;)
Shato, you can run with it from here.

ShatoDavis 07-28-2005 11:39 AM

Well, with a name like elk camp master who can argue with you?

Yeah sure if you want to be all exact and stuff "shot placement" should be a consideration with all cartridges. But, Its hard to start an arguement with logical statements.

ELKampMaster 07-28-2005 01:39 PM

Well, I'm a masterat setting up one hell of an elk camp; however,
Iwouldn't claim to be the master of elk hunting....
That would go to our (successful) bowhunting friends....

IMHO, taking elk with adecent, scopedmagnum (or big bore)is straight forward business.

gotlost 07-28-2005 07:39 PM

EKM It's good to see you recoverd from you upset stomach this Spring! could it be the cool nights and the hint that fall is coming.

BareBack Jack 07-29-2005 12:23 PM

I'm with EKM on the big gun for a big job.

I would love to hunt elk with a .458 lott,but money being money I will have to doit with my .338 win mag and my .416 rem Mag.:D:D

BBJ

James B 07-30-2005 01:32 PM

IFyou use good bullets, Partition, X bullet or Grand Slam and IF you can hit where you aim, You will have NO PROBLEM killing elk with the 270/280. In fact thay will kill elk as well as anything out there. You do your part and time has proven that the 270 will do its job. Thats a simple fact.

ELKampMaster 07-30-2005 07:04 PM

Delete

idahoelkinstructor 07-30-2005 08:27 PM

RE: 270...elk cartridge? - 7/26/2005 9:14:21 PM

showPicture("7/26/2005 9:14:21 PM",0,0,0,1131541,5)

dick_cress

titleAndStar(609,0,0,false,"","")
Non Typical

[align=center][/align]
Jack O'Conner was not slouch when it came to hunting and his favorite rifle was a .270. I shouldn't enter this fracus I'm a bowhunter.

Bowhunter
Mathews FX, Archers Choice 5 pin, Quicktune 4000 fall away rest, No-Peep, Tru Fire X-Caliper release, 2213 Easton XX75, Thunderhead 100' s, Limbsavers, and Simms Modular Stabilizer and Quiver Insert, Balcom Bowsling.

dick cress, hey I just wanted to let you know that my Mathews is better than your Mathews!:D:D:D:D:D:D
Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsjust that mygun is better than you gun is getting soold!:DI just had to spice it up a bit and have some fun.:D
I do like your bow BTW, I own the Switchback and I have shot the Legacy, LX, Outback and Switchback. never have shot your FX though, but because its a Mathews it has to be good!:D

ELKampMaster 07-30-2005 09:16 PM

Sorry, had to move past the messed up post....
================================================== =

IFyou use good bullets, Partition, X bullet or Grand Slam and IF you can hit where you aim, You will have NO PROBLEM killing elk with the 270/280. In fact thay will kill elk as well as anything out there. You do your part and time has proven that the 270 will do its job. Thats a simple fact.
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements" as it makes for real easy thinkin' an' not many concerns regarding limitations, exceptions, and other issues, of course that might muddy the waters a bit......
================================================== ==

Last year, Colorado had it's best elk harvest in years.... the success rate crawled up from 22%to a whopping 25%.....

So's here's jes a leetle assurance fer sum folks thet may choosede simplistic route.....
================================================== ==

Now I knows yer not plannin' on being one of the 3 outta 4 fellers thet don't cut musturd an' ends up goin's home empt' handed. Don't y'all's concern yersef--- ther's nuttin'to it, givethe whole thingno big nevermind, grab yer stuff, load up the truck, grab yer favorite closet ironwith the best bullet theys got avail'ble downst at the general store, 'n jus head for 'dem elk woods'n give 'em hell ---we's jus sure y'all's'll do jes'fine!

Just so's y'all know,they's gonstbejust a few folk out in thethem thar elk woods with y'allthet gonst tobe gunnin' to stackthe odds in their favor at every corner and in every waythey know how--- them'en's gonna be what they call yer competition ---so's just leaveany concerns aboutbothersome huntin' n' shoot'n details that may requirea leetleheavy thinkin'to them'n's folks an' mos' likely they'll be glad to take care of it, 'stead youhavin's ta worry yerself 'bout it--- donst worry yersef none, theys usually reasonably nice folks though, I reckon they'll probably be glad to say "hi"at the trailhead (as they're coming out).

In any case,y'all probably will have aright finetime up thar indem elk woods, asthey's allayslots of beautiful scenery to look at ya know and camaraderie among friends is always a goodly thing alongst wit a camp fire 'n a bit o' libation. Yep, thet thar simplistic and 100% "got it covered" route is a right fine way ta go after dem elk.
=================================================

Good luck,
EKM

James B 07-30-2005 09:50 PM

Well it does help to see an elk and of course you can't kill what you can't find. However hitting an a
elk in the right spot with the 270 stacks the odds very heavy in your favor. No rifle of any caliber and no amount of practice will kill an elk that you can't find. When I speak of final results I consider the fact that things have to go right up to that point. I quess I need to make those things more clear to some. A lifetime can go into the preperation of an elk hunt for some. As you say the killing part is easy. 270 or 378 Weatherby. Going into the field with a rifle that you can shoot, one with plenty of power to reach the vitals, one you have confidence in and has proved itself to be a good cartridge for a good hunter is very important. The hunter has to decide which rifle that is, or which bow that is. I have helped several hunting buddies dress out the elk they killed with their 270 and 260's and believe me, they were very dead.So far I have not seen an elkor any other animal well hit with the 270 that didn't go down PDQ.

This said, I certainly won't argue with anyone who has a weapon they would rather use or have more faith in. I will leave them alone and they can leave me alone. Like many of you, I won't be convinced that things I have done and seen are not doable and repetable.:D

ELKampMaster 07-30-2005 11:33 PM

Again,
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements."

James B 07-30-2005 11:56 PM

Your right. The point I am trying in vain to make is that once the work is done, you have made your stalk or set your ambush, you have a good shooting position and you just need to finish the shot, its simple and any number of calibers will do the job. The getting to that point is job of the hunter and what he is packing for a weapon does not make a man a hunter. Thats as simple as I can make it. Its simple because I have left all the preperation for another post. Whatever the heck you are talking about can be made as simple or complicated as you want to make it. The question was the capability of the weapon, in this case the 270. What I have seen of the 270 is pretty impressive. Maybe you have seen or expirenced something else. I can only speak from my own hunting trips and those which I have been along on.

bigbulls 07-31-2005 12:19 AM

Well forget about this .270 thing we got bows into the mix now.

And those dreaded "M" bows to boot.

Yeah, sure, when the limbs aren't blowing up or those dang Zebra strings aren't streching through two counties sure one MIGHT get lucky with one every now and then.;)

If you want a real bow at least step up to a Hoyt or you could step up to a Bowtech and be the ultimate hunter.

ELKampMaster 07-31-2005 08:42 AM

Again,
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements."

None of these items are"finding the game"nor stalking nor "getting into position"issues, they are cartridge restriction issues, and glaringly absent from the so called "facts" as presented.....

** No mention of bullet weight (go heavy for caliber)
** No mention of range limitation (great long range deer gun (270)ain't a great long range elk gun).
** No mention of shot angle/penetration limitations (no shoulders, no rakes, maybe no head on's)
** No mention of skeletal structure avoidance issues (best if perfect broadsides only, avoid the shoulder).

Nope, these possibly "foriegn-issues-to-the-newbie"werejust swept under the carpet of the "100% simplistic facts and blanket statement" talk.....

So Johnny Greenhorn reads our fine thread here and thenloads up and heads for the elk hills based on the lovely, simplistic "facts" as given, actually finds his elk on the last day of the seasonand bears down on him using the same assumptions/experiencesthat have always served him so well when killing southern whitetail withhis 270 all these years (when the situation he ran intowas really ashot-set up on a bull elkthat wouldbe better handleda "bigger stick")and poor Johnny ends up headingback home empty handed and broken hearted and half sick at loosing him wondering.....
"What was the rest of the story someone didn't tell me?" "Why did my "do-it-all-back-home 270 fail me?" "While itwas not my absolute favorite shot setup, I've busted plenty of deer with that shot and I hit him right where I aimed....why, why, why.... damn Internet anyway"

Yep, thet thar simplistic and 100% "got it covered" route is a right fine way ta go after dem elk.