Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Let's talk bullets for a minute. >

Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Okay so many of you know already this year I am aiming for a Black Bear.

I will be taking (after careful consideration and asking the knowlegeable people here)

My Winchester .300 WSM

And my Scope ( Click for details)
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=204727

The shots will range anywhere from 300- 50 ( I hope not!) yards

At 300 yards exact I can fit 4 shots into the 6 inch circle (Sometimes I have a few strays, but at least all hit on the 3X3ft target), so Im not the best shot in the world, but Im A-okay.

Normally I shoot the standard Winchester Supreme 180 gr. Ballistic Silvertips at targets.

When going to the ammo store today I asked the guy about bullet prefernce for Black Bears, one guy said stick with silver tips, the other said get the hollow points.

As he explained, bears have thick skins and the silvertip might not expand and he couldn't see shooting a bear with a piece of plastic.

Okay fellow hunters, let's hear your thoughts.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let's talk bullets for a minute.

As he explained, bears have thick skins and the silvertip might not expand and he couldn't see shooting a bear with a piece of plastic.
The guy has no clue.If anything the ballistic silvertips will expand more than you might want them to.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 PM

I'm with stubblejumper - He's clueless. Common sense should tell him that rapid expansion on a thick skinned animal equal horrible penetration. You want to look into your deeper penetration bullets. I personall shoot my Elk loads at Black Bears-- Nosler Partitions and Hornady Interlocs.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a Barnes X, Nosler Partition, TBBC, Swift A-Frame, or Win. Failsafe. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with the ammo you are shooting. I have killed several black bears. Black bears are not all that tough to kill. IMHO they are no tougher than whitetail deer.
I also think your are more than accurate enough to take a shot out to 300-yards.

Good luck,

Wolf Killer
Old 07-20-2005, 08:45 AM

You should go with a smaller power scope,10 power is the smallest power u can set it on and i think that is to much incase of thick woods..just my two cents tho!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 AM

Is this a troll? Surely you aren't serious? Come on, a 10x40xpos scope for a lil ol 300wsm? Do you realize how hard it will be to hunt with a scope which features 10x as its smallest power? I hope you are just kidding and trying to waste everyones time and the sights bandwidth here.

As for the ammo, your local ammo jockey must've been the one that also recommended scopes too you? That scope is a POS and you would be better off with a papertowel tube, some celophane and a black marker (dont forget the duct tape mounts). Silvertips and hollowpoints for bears? Gimme a break, IF you truly are serious and just are new too the sport then do yourself a favor and TELL that ammoclown behind the counter that you want some Federal Premium Vital Shok 180grn Triple Shocks. Aint a blackie alive that can absorb them unphased. And while you're at it, you might wanna practice some more before attempting a 300yd shot if all you can do is manage to keep the flyers on a sheet of 3x3. The animals deserve more respect than that!!!

Scopewise, aint a huntin 300WSM around that merits more than a 10x or 12x max power scope at best! A 3x9, 3.5x10 or a 4x12 is the MOST your lil shortie needs!
RA
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa!!!
We are talking about black bears,not Kodiaks,or Grizzly or Polars.Even a 400 lb black bear can be killed relitively easy with a 30-06 and 180 core-loks.Shot placement is the best means of killing one.
I would rather have a exposed lead tip style bullet,than a balistic tip,but on a black bear it will work fine exspecialy the 180 BLT out of the 300 WSM(CXP3 rating).I shoot most bears with the same loads I use for deer/elk/antelope.
I shot a 5 point bull elk 2 years ago with the 180 gr Power-Points (300 WSM)from winchester(the silver box),and it was a loooooooooooooong shot.the bulet entered just in front of the right shoulder,between the shoulder and the brisket 1/2 down,it went through there and exited out behind the 5th rib on the left side.He reguiered a follow up shot cause after he was hit hestarted running.
To me that is plenty of penetration and deadly on any black bear that walks.
I would use the bullet you are using unless you are going to try a break down shot(Straight through both shoulders).The most efective shot I have found on blackies,it to shoot through the oposite sholder,1/4 almost braodside shot is the best so you can angle your bullet THROUGH the vitals and out the other shoulder.
If you don't like the bullet you are using,try the 165 Boattail solid base Nosler Partion from Federal.

As for you scope YOU have WAY TO MUCH SCOPE.If you have even a remotely close shot 50 yds you are well up a creek with out a paddle.Put your scope on 10x and look at your T.V. from your couch and see how much feild of veiw you have.I would say go with a 3-9 or 4-14 x 40 or 44 mm scope but 10-whaterx44 mm is way to much.
I would also keep your shots under 200 yds so you can get a definate fix on where the bullet hit end exited.
Just my opinon.
BBJ
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 AM

Surely you jest!
That isn't a hunting scope. Do yourself a favor and don't fall for that "tactical operations/whisker shaving accuracy" BS. Go buy a quality hunting scope. I'm afraid that the folks who sell that kind of garbage have no idea about the real world (hunting or tactical operations.) Buy yourself a leupold 2.5-8, or 3-9 and go practice until you can keep all your shots flyers included inside that 6" circle.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grendle:

I would mount a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40,or 3.5-10x44. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.