Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk Hunting, How much can you do? >

Elk Hunting, How much can you do?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting, How much can you do?

Old 07-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Elk Hunting, How much can you do?

Ok all you elk hunters, how many days, weeks, etc. can you actually hunt elk in your state? Example of what I'm trying to find out: Here in Georgia, we buy a big game license (which is whitetail), in my county this entitles me to take twelve deer in a season,which runs fromSept. to Jan., to include archery, muzzleloading, and rifle hunting, two bucks in this, one has to have 4 points on at least one side, I think y'all get the point of my question. I'll go a little further, do you residents of the elk holding states have to go thru the draw, if so, how many weeks could you hunt if drawn.

There are several reasons I have asked the above, but one that got me started, is that I called DOW and asked the lady that answered the phone: If I buy an over the counter license for the second week (rifle) of elk season, as a nonresident, and don't get an elk, can I hunt the third week on that same license: NO! Have to buy another license, do y'all have to do that? If I get and elk during that second week (bull), can I buy another license for the 3rd week, NO!

Do you residents of these states have to buy a license for each week, say of rifle season for elk, etc. What about the draw?
Hope y'all understand what I'm trying to find out. Now the reason I ask, I have seriously considered moving somewhere out West. Just want to know how much hunting I can do in a year.

Thank You,
dog1
Old 07-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting, How much can you do?

in wyoming area 1 or 117 u can hunt 30 days with archery and same tag u can hunt 45 days rifle....that is why these areas hold a 90% success rate!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

i like to hunt the high country in bow season. season is all of september here, but in the high country areas i hunt ya cant go back with a rifle later.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dog 1, it just depends on the area and which state its in. In Idaho we have a 30 day general season over the counter elk tag good for either a cow or any bull depending on the area. Also most areas have a general rifle or blackpowder hunt for cows later in the seaon if you don't harvest your elk with a bow. I hunt a average of 2 &1/2 weeks during September for elk. Most years I also end up trailing alongwith a friend or family member on there rifle or blackpowderhunt later on. So I would say I spend at least 3 solid weeks a year elk hunting if not a little more. Other states are set up different but most do offer a general season over the counter elk tag that is good for a month during september. You might not be able to shoot any elk, (again depending on the certian state and area) but at least you could still elk hunt for a cow or spike or maybe a 4 point bull or bigger. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Dog1 I understand the point of your question. Living and hunting in the Southeast you get a little spoiled with liberal bag limits, and length of hunting season. I can tell you you will never be able to hunt as much out West as you do in the Southeast. Most states out West you have to choose a certain season, species, and even weapon. Then if you get draw (for your on state even) you can only take one animal. Sure some states are better (longer season) than others, but I don't no of one state out West where you can hunt 4 to 5 months solid with every weapon you own.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are referring to Colorado? There are some OTC tags, but most are by the draw, even for residents. There are certain areas that allow the taking of more than 1 elk in certain circumstances. Nevada, Utah, Arizona, are all pretty much draw only. You pick the exact season, and apply for it. For example, I drew a cow muzzleloader tag for an area near Ely,Nevada. I can only hunt for cows from September 17th-30th, and only with a muzzle loader. There are specific archery seasons (usually earlier in August and early September), and rifle seasons (anywhere from the first of October to January in some cases). The longest season is not much more than about a month long here for elk, in only a couple of areas, and thats for cow. Bulls are typically no longer than about 2 weeks on the longest hunt. Deer have seasons that range from 16 days to about 4 weeks total, again, only for the specific weapon, season, area, and species you draw. Antelope are 22 days for archeryand about 10 days for rifle. Then we have the sheep and goats, which last up to 2 months to givea person the best chance possible at bagging an animal.

And another thing, 1 elk would probably equal all the meat on those Georgia deer
Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Super7, while we might not be able to hunt 4 or 5 months solid for deer and kill 12 deer. We can hunt general season for elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, bear and mountain lion. If we draw we can hunt for moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat. In Idaho big game hunting starts in august and ends in March with the close of lion season. Then there is spring turkey and bear.Of course there is always plenty of coyotes toshoot as well as varmits like rockchucks and ground squirrels. Not saying you don't have them around to shoot in your neck of the woods either. We do have plenty of public ground to hunt and shoot our guns out west. I guess if you are a hard core deer hunter then the south eastsounds likethe place to live, but if you like to hunt all types of big game then maybe the west is the best for that person. What I am trying to say is every place is special and has its positives to each person that chooses to live there.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Spike

In Colorado, most bull elk licenses are over the counter (OTC). If you want a cow tag or to hunt bulls in a limited unit, you must draw for it. Archery is OTC for either sex for hunting in unlimited units. Muzzleloader is by draw only. First and forth rifle season is by draw only. Second and third are OTC for bulls.
* Some units in the state have some special or different hunts/seasons going on that would allow you to harvest more than one elk per year. There are also antler point restrictions in affect.

The best way to try to figure out what you can hunt and when you can hunt is to go to the states DOW website and download their hunting brochures.

Even as a long time resident, I still get confused with the hunting seasons. Hope this will help.

Blue Moose CO
Old 07-03-2005, 02:26 PM

I hunt in Idaho and hunt elk about 2-3 weeks a year.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all of you that replied, I am really dumb founded and I guess spoiled. To hunt elk, moose, etc., seems the ultimate hunts to me, based on what all of you are saying, your hunting is somewhat restricted, but what a hunt it must be to hunt elk, moose, mule deer, and even antelope.

I doubt seriously that I will ever get to move out west because of family commitments and before I get to old. But I can dream and listen and read your post. Now don't get me wrong, I love my deer, hog, squirrel, quail, dove, varmit, etc. hunting, just hope to go somewhere to do more. One day, maybe one day before I get to Old, I hope to possibly move out west to hunt with y'all. My daughter and son-in-law may have a chance to move to the, I believe Milk River area of Montana in the near future, if they go, I'm going if I have to give my place away. Thanks for the info and you have helped to keep my dreams alive.

dog1

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting, How much can you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.