Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Looking for a good Elk bugle >

Looking for a good Elk bugle

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for a good Elk bugle

Old 06-25-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Looking for a good Elk bugle

I am new to elk hunting and am looking for a good bugle. I tried the diaphragms, but the gag reflex and vibrating head sensation kicked in too heavily. What do you guys (and girls - I try not to offend anyone these days) like for your favorite bugle?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Looking for a good Elk bugle

Primos terminator bugle.

This thing is awesome. Sounds very realistic, easy to use and the blue silicone reed never rots like latex.

http://www.primos.com/product_info.php?products_id=231
Old 06-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

that primos terminator is awesome, but if ya want something a little smaller they make a backpack model at primos. same blue reed, just a smaller tube.

both work very well.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frostycanuck, the primos terminator is good but diaphragms are better yet. One thing you might consider trying to help you overcome your gag reflex is this.Drill a small hole on the outside edge of the horseshoe part of the diaphragm, on either the left or right side as placed in your mouth. Then tie somedental floss tothe diaphragm useing that hole.Make it long enough to hold the other end of the floss in your hand. When calling if you start to gag you can simply pull the diaphragm out of your mouth. Plus I have heard that the dental floss comming out of the mouth takes away from the gag reflex. There are couple of sounds you can make from a bugle tube & reed like the Primos system, but if you can learn to use a diaphragm, wellthe sounds you can make are almost unlimited with both bull and cow calls. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lohman Abe & Sons Dominator Bull Call. Go to www.kolpin.com/product/loab01.asp Good luck.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

If that Lohman produced call was designed by Abe Meleine, it must be a good one!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

OK Guys!!! For the record!! It's the guy behind the tube, believe me!! It's not the horn that is that important. Sure some grunt tubes are larger than others & give good resonance, but without lots of dedication & practice, you'll get no-where with them!!

As Idahoelkinstructor mentioned, the grunt tube and mouth reeds are best. You're much more versatile with that combo that an external bugle, it will never match the grunt tube-mouth reed, for the ordinary joe!!--------ElkNut1
Old 06-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frosty,

You say your new to elk hunting.....If you dont like the diaphrams and want an easy to use and effective elk bugle, try the Berry Bugle out, your gag reflex will be spared. Use the white reed. It's simple, easy and the tone is not that of an intimidating herd bull,instead it resembles that of a satellite bull. My brother and I usethese veryeffectively and have bugled in a lot of bulls and killedsome very mature bulls and passed onmany immature bullsin thepublic lands of Idaho where we have lived and hunted our entire lives.

Like the guys said above, no matter what bugle you end up with, its the guy behind the bugle that makes the biggest difference. Knowing the numerous vocalizations of elk and being able to respond accordingly is key. Study up and get out in the woods and listen as much as you can. Elk talk year around but nothing like they do in the rut.

Best of luck.