Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Caribou or Moose

Old 06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default DIY Caribou or Moose

I'm planning on some hunting trips for next year, and was interested mostly in Caribou or Moose hunting. I don't want to be guided, but wouldn't mind a drop-camp type hunt. I've been looking into Caribou in Alaska. The plane ticket to Anchorage doesn't seem to bad($500), but the flight to a smaller town and drop-camp and brush country seems to be over twice the cost of the flight to alaska. I've been reading some posts about hunting in Northern Quebec(Caribou), but it seems like a lengthy drive from Kansas, and flights and along with other expenses seem to run the total cost up.

Can anyone recommend some places to check out which I could get away with a spending now more than 2K and no more driving that 1,400(2 days) miles from Kansas, if there is a such thing? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Default RE: DIY Caribou or Moose

In regards to Alaska, what type of experience are you looking for???

If you have another person, you have a number of options for a DIY Caribou hunt that should come right in at that $2,000 mark per person.

Private Message Me and I'll point you in the right direction.

SA
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can do a winter caribou hunt at the end of November for close to your budget but you are short on the driving conditions for Quebec. You can do a guided/outfitted moose hunt in Ontario within your wishes but the success rates are much lower than caribou. Starting from Kansas I would look into Alberta for a moose hunt.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 PM

You should be able to get a good caribou hunt with two caribou for $1,200 to $1,400. The trick is flying to the city directly. There is no need to come into Anchorage. However, you will not be able to do everything for $2,000. Even with air fare and air taxi coming in at $1700 -$1800, you still need licenses, food, extra baggage charges, plus you have to get your meat home. Expect to pay another $500 if you donate most of the meat.

There is no place you can do a fly-in for moose as a nonresident for $2,000. You could try to hunt off the road system, but it is crowded, and you will be competing wth locals who know where the legal bulls are.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

KS-----I understand the problem. I'm going on that DIY caribou hunt in Northern Quebec. LONG Drive or not. Going this Thanksgiving. As far as moose------I'm piling up points in WY----I'll probably draw in 06 or 07. But I've been putting in for for about 10 years. I suggest you look at a shiras moose-----UT, WY. MT. I'm pretty sure all those Canada/AK hunts will have a guide. I'm planning on an outfitter in WY just for the fact that those suckers are so BIG. I don't want to haul horses. Good Luck--CB
Old 06-08-2005, 08:51 PM

I did a float hunt for the mulchatna herd in ak last fall. We saw no caribou, athough we did see moose. bear and amazing country we did feel totally let down by our fly in service. We paid (per person) $600 plane ticket from Mn. to anchorage, car rental for a week $150, $325 caribou license and $1200 to fly from soldotna to mulchatna river. Make sure you know there are caribou in the area before you get dropped off. Pm. me if you want more details.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 PM

I am looking into doing an 06 semi-drop camp hunt also in Alaska and want to point out that you can't hunt and fly the same day and your bush pilot should at least spot some the first day then put you in close proximity of the animals. Also make sure to ask how many fly overs and how many times they will move you before you have to start paying for additional flights. I would do a semi drop and let them supply the basic stuff for survival, tent, freeze dried meals ect ect ect......because anything over 50-60 lbs. they charging extra for added weight. It is very important that the pilot put you near the game the first shot because you loose a day whenever you move. Also a satilite phone is not included and I would not go without one. They are about $150 for the week (you can split the cost with others in camp) and order over the net. Do a search on the net to find some of these outfitters but I would check references for both sucessfull and unsucessfull hunters. I also believe that if you get a moose permit you can bag caribou, black bear and wolf but you are allowed one animal on that license and it cost 500.00 as compared to 325.00 for just 1 bou tag. It gives you more options in my opinion even though I wouldn't subsitute a wolf on that tag. If you find anything please passit along.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM

The Mulchatna herd is very difficult to access from the Kenai or Anchorage. Most guys are flying to Bethel, Dillingham, or Port Alsworth. The herd has changed its migration route.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. There seems to be a lot of Drop-camp outfitters flying out of Dillingham. Units 17b, 18, 19B seem to be popular locations for drop-camps. Does anyone have any experience with these areas or outfitters? Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted out of Dillingham with Bay Air and out of Port Alsworth with Lake Clark Air.. Both are honest, first rate outfits and will do thier best to get you into animals... I've also heard good things about Tikchik Air in Dillingham...

Quick Reply: DIY Caribou or Moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.