Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

big game hunting

Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 AM

Default RE: big game hunting

ORIGINAL: RandyA

If you are planning on next year, and are considering an antelope try Wy. Pm me and I will give you some areas to apply for.
Ditto there, especially if SW Wyo.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:33 AM

I think the cheapest to hunt is what is in your back yard. Mine would be Deer, Bear , Turkeys. to book a hunt Bear or Antelope.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another animal to toss out there for inexpensive (ain't none of them cheap [8D] ) is caribou. Usually two animals an be taken, and for 2-3K.

For me however, there's another aspect, I don't see myself going on a guided hunt for something I can hunt at home, that rules out turkey, deer and moose. I also would rather have an more "interactive" hunt if I am paying alot, I don't want to sit in a tree all the time, so caribou, elk, mule deer and maybe antelope (but stalked) would do. I have gone on two elk hunts guided and LOVED every second of it, there it little to get your heart pumping than having a bull elk screaming at you coming to find you to kick your butt for being there!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did a pronghorn antelope hunt last year. The non-resident tag was about $237; the Wyoming fishing/hunting conservation stamp was $10; the trespass fee was $125 for two days of hunting on a 1280 acre ranch. On this size ranch the pronghorn come onto and go off of the ranch, but there are plenty of animals around so this was not a big issue. Hotel was about $55/night in Gillette, Wyoming (actually only $25/night due to a glitch on their part, but I didn't complain). I drove about 1200 miles to get there with one night in a hotel half way; 1200 miles getting home with another night in a hotel. The whole trip was well less than $1000. My son went with me, and other than an additional tag, conservation stamp, and trespass fee the costs remained fixed. If you can get someone else to go on the hunt with you to share gas and hotel costs you can save some money and make it a fun hunt.

If you are looking for big horns, however, you may need to go with an outfitter/guide. My impression is that the outfitters find out where the big pronghorn bucks are and lease exclusive rights to hunt that ground.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

i can understand the sense of security of leasing private land for you hunters from out east who come here to wy to shoot an antelope, but i think you should save your money. there are plenty of nice goats (13-15inch) shot on public every year. i live somewhat near gillette, and even though i usually have permission on quite a few local ranches, i almost invariably shoot mine on public.

i think you could do this trip out here for next to nothing. the non res tag, some gas, maybe even a motel, but that should be about it. theres just too much good public land here to have to worry about paying to hunt.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Montana the hunts range from(cheapest to highest)
1. Antelope(900-2200)
2.Cat-bear (1000-2400)
3. Deer (1800-2500)
4.Elk (2500-6000)
5.Moose sheep and goat(3500-8000)

This depending on area,guide to hunter Ratio.
If I was looking for my 1st guided hunt antelope would be my choice,just due to number of animals and sucess rate run pretty high.
BBJ
Old 06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

www.huntsd.net for cheap Antelope and other species