Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly Hunt

Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Grizzly Hunt

This past weekend me and a few friends went out grizzly hunting, while we were in black bear country we saw one of the biggest grizzlies i have ever seen. My friend shot at it with a 7mm 08 as we were hunting black bears at the time. It ran into some pretty thick bush. We went looking for it an hour later and we found one very small drop of blood on a leaf. We looked for about 2 hrs, when my buddy kicked a rock into the bush and the 9ft. bear barrelled out of the bush full speed across the road up a hill and it was gone, before any of us had a chance to get another shot off. We knew we hit the bear and somewhat injured it or it wouldn't have waited around in the bush but we also know we didnt hit any vitals because it was still alive and able to run 2 hrs after beeing hit.

My question is: if we go back this weekend do you think we can expect to see the bear in the same general area?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Grizzly Hunt

ORIGINAL: jjensen2004

This past weekend me and a few friends went out grizzly hunting, while we were in black bear country we saw one of the biggest grizzlies i have ever seen. My friend shot at it with a 7mm 08 as we were hunting black bears at the time. It ran into some pretty thick bush. We went looking for it an hour later and we found one very small drop of blood on a leaf. We looked for about 2 hrs, when my buddy kicked a rock into the bush and the 9ft. bear barrelled out of the bush full speed across the road up a hill and it was gone, before any of us had a chance to get another shot off. We knew we hit the bear and somewhat injured it or it wouldn't have waited around in the bush but we also know we didnt hit any vitals because it was still alive and able to run 2 hrs after beeing hit.

My question is: if we go back this weekend do you think we can expect to see the bear in the same general area?
I'm Sorry, But that is absolutely pathetic. Everything about your statement makes me ill. Your friend should never have shot at that bear. I don't think anyone can condone shooting a grizz with a 7mm-08. There is no way you can expect to make an ethical kill with that weapon. You should've went home and got more gun, then hunted him.
The grizzly is an absolute majestic beast. Your friend should have had more respect for him than that. You have bigger cahones than me to even post that. I would have went home an never mentioned it to anyone.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I don't think anyone can condone shooting a grizz with a 7mm-08. There is no way you can expect to make an ethical kill with that weapon. You should've went home and got more gun, then hunted him.
The grizzly is an absolute majestic beast. Your friend should have had more respect for him than that. You have bigger cahones than me to even post that. I would have went home an never mentioned it to anyone.
a 7mm-08 are you serious. i wouldn't even dream of shooting a griz with that. wouldn't that just piss it off? if ya'll had the slightest idea that you would run into grizzlies why wouldn't ya'll take something bigger just in case? i don't get it....
Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

that all being said, and getting back to your original question, where ya didnt find a lot of blood, and it laid up quick, it could be a paunch shot. if you bump an animal that has been gut shot, it will run for quite a while before it goes down. i wasnt there, i have no idea where that bear was hit. if it was a shoulder shot, from what im reading i dont think your buddy got through, and that bear is probably gone.

i personally think that after that kind of shot selectiona and weapon selection you guys owe it to the bear to get your asses back in there and look. i would not consider you hunters if you didnt.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 AM

I think they should have their a$$e$ out there right now. Not wait until this weekend. A wounded griz is dangerous, not to mention that its just wrong! [:'(]
Old 06-01-2005, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I think they should have their a$$e$ out there right now. Not wait until this weekend. A wounded griz is dangerous, not to mention that its just wrong! [:'(]
I have to agree... what if someone else stumbles onto that grizzly? like say.. a fisherman or something... they dont even stand a chance if the bear charges.

As to the shot... I'm guessing it's a gut shot from what he's saying. It happened to me once before with a deer. I hit it right under the diaphragm, I even pierced part of the diaphragm. The deer ran away maibe 400-500 yards, maibe farther, and it just laid there, facing where it came from. When I tracked it, I found very little blood but when I got to it, it got up and bolted away, I was lucky enough to get off a shot, got it in the spine that time but i'm guessing it would have made another 400-500 yards to lay down again. I would have kept tracking that deer for days if I would have had to. I cant believe you gave up after only 2 hours...
Did you try tracking the bear after it bolted the second time? My guess it you'll find a stinky, bloated, dead grizzly not very far from where you saw it last if you wait till this week-end to go search.

$hit happens, it's your responsibility to make it right.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Where were you "hunting" this grizzly?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's probably no biggie, they are more than likely in Idaho or Montana. lol
Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, i see you're from B.C., not Montana. A 7mm will get the job done, if your shot is on. And if your shot isn't on, you have got to use good judgement in what you do after the shot. Apparently you guys are far from sure on where your hit was. Just because the bear ran off after two hours really doesn't mean much to me other than you didn't get a heart shot. With a 7mm, I think a griz with one lung will easily go for two hours after the shot. And a gut shot bear even more. The reason you are not finding much blood is more than likely due to the fact that you dont' have an exit hole, and even if you did, the fat on a bear plugs those holes fairly quickly. You should still be out there trackin.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

There is no way you can expect to make an ethical kill with that weapon.
a 7mm-08 are you serious. i wouldn't even dream of shooting a griz with that. wouldn't that just piss it off
Gheez guys, he wasent shooting a .22. A propertly loaded 7-08 will take down the biggest bear. Now having said that, Im not about to take one grizzly hunting. But if I was hunting something else, had a grizzly tag, and came upon a grizzly, you can bet your bottom dollar that Id shoot him and he'd be dead.

Im with Fury and James, sounds like a gut shot to me. I also agree that that animal needs to be tracked down and killed ASAP. And please dont take your 7-08 along. Shooting a wounded bear and shooting one thats not alarmed are 2 different things.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.