Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

ORIGINAL: deeg1502

Rory,

Where at in Arkansas do you hunt? What kind of bow did you get? I'll be hunting next weekend in GA, and AL. Hopefully, I'll come out with a bird or two.
im not sure ill be hunting there, but theres a chance, if my dad can get enough time hopefully me and my brother can score down there. we would hunt the gene rush area, my dad went there a couple years ago and killed a monster 3 year old. those buffalo river botoms are crawling with gobblers.

i got a fred bear the truth 2, its a great bow

and good luck, hope your the first to get us on the board
Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

First weekend of the season in Central Florida amounted to some gobbling, a whole lotta hunters in the woods with limited calling skills and nothing in the bag. It was a great weekend for hunting and the public lands were packed with hunters. More hunters than I have ever seen in the woods. Will try again next weekend
Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

First weekend of the season in Central Florida amounted to some gobbling, a whole lotta hunters in the woods with limited calling skills and nothing in the bag. It was a great weekend for hunting and the public lands were packed with hunters. More hunters than I have ever seen in the woods. Will try again next weekend
Midsouth,

did you draw a tag for a wma in FL? I hunted in FL last year, but it wasn't a WMA. Since I'm military I hunted Avon Park Bombing range. Great little area and has a decent amount of Osceolas. Where abouts were you hunting? I'll note to not go there due to hunting pressure...LOL. It can get crazy downFL on opening weekend.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Deeq1502,

Sounds like we have something in common. We have shared some hunting grounds. For the amount of hunting grounds we have down there, there were a lot of hunterson first day. More than I have ever seen there before. I don't know how long it has been since you hunted there but the public side has increasedtheir permits to 250.00, so Ihunt the military side. There were some gobbing today but the amount of hunters for the small areas were thick. I had 4 hunters within 150 yrads.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Well guys, I got permission to hunt a nearby farm again this year! It is a great turkey hunting farm, and I had permission to hunt it a couple years ago, but Im the type of person who likes to check in every year just to make sure, and last year when I checked in to verify my permission, no one was home and I got my a$$ bit by a big dog!!!So I never could get his number or find him to let him know I was hunting. So I never went in last year, but heard lots of gobbling on there. So I started early this year and finally got in contact with him and like other years, he was more than nice, and thanked me for asking him and not just going like some people have done to him before. So I cant wait to try out this new B-Mobile decoy I bought, since there are lots of nice green fields on this farm, and my farm is all timber. So It looks like things are looking good for turkey season, now I just have to wait for April 21st.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Angus74

Well guys, I got permission to hunt a nearby farm again this year! It is a great turkey hunting farm, and I had permission to hunt it a couple years ago, but Im the type of person who likes to check in every year just to make sure, and last year when I checked in to verify my permission, no one was home and I got my a$$ bit by a big dog!!!So I never could get his number or find him to let him know I was hunting. So I never went in last year, but heard lots of gobbling on there. So I started early this year and finally got in contact with him and like other years, he was more than nice, and thanked me for asking him and not just going like some people have done to him before. So I cant wait to try out this new B-Mobile decoy I bought, since there are lots of nice green fields on this farm, and my farm is all timber. So It looks like things are looking good for turkey season, now I just have to wait for April 21st.
i just gotta wait till the 13th
cant go the 12th becasue of baseball
it will be my last youth season though
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

Deeq1502,

Sounds like we have something in common. We have shared some hunting grounds. For the amount of hunting grounds we have down there, there were a lot of hunterson first day. More than I have ever seen there before. I don't know how long it has been since you hunted there but the public side has increasedtheir permits to 250.00, so Ihunt the military side. There were some gobbing today but the amount of hunters for the small areas were thick. I had 4 hunters within 150 yrads.
Were you down at Avon Park last year? I was there opening weekend and took two Toms. I hunted the military only and the public area. I had a buddy that drew a public tag and then I went with him to his spots and he went with me to the military spots. I killed one on the 1200 acres mil only and then on area 5.Did you hunt Avon Parkthis pastweekend? If so, you probably bumped into a couple of guys I know if you were on the military only area. They camp out there every year. One of the guys name is George and he's a NASA engineer. I love it there and hate I wasn't able to go this year. I know come this time next year I'll be down there for opening weekend. I just wish they would allow more days to hunt the public side instead of three. How did you come out with bird activity and hunting pressure? I spoke with George and he said that he ran into quite a few fellers on the mil only areas. Hopefully, you'll put one to sleep here soon. I'll be down in Georgia this weekend then off to Alabama.

David

Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Come on guys,, we cant be falling off the first page can we?? Lets here some good stories,, whats everyone shooting, whats you biggest bird Whats you secret weapon for tagging your longbeard?

Me,, Im shooting a Stoeger 2000 with a steady grip stock, and a Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke, it is nasty and will really do a number on those turkey heads. My biggest bird is a 27 lb bird I chased one season, for both weeks, but him and another that looked like a twin stayed out in a field all day every day, always flying down right into the field. Me and a buddy hammered them all season, and never got a shot, but at the end of season I watched them all evening before fly up(we cant hunt evenings in Missouri) and followed them when they went into the woods at almost dark. I heard them fly up and snuck to within about 75 yards of theyre tree. I hooted and they both went nuts gobbling, so I waited a few minutes to let them calm down, and did a fly up with me hat, and then tree yelped to them very quietly, and they went absolutely crazy, I thought they were going to fly down and come to me then, but they stayed, it was dark. I was back the next morning an hour before light, at the same tree as the last evening, they started sounding off 1/2 hour before the sky started to get light. I never made a peep to them, just listened to them, and they sure remembered teh hen from the night before. Finally when I could barely see my decoy, I did a flydown again with my hat, and a couple clucks and purrs. I immediately heard them fly down, and withing 30 seconds I could see them both at my decoy! I picked out the first head I could shoot at clearly, and made a good shot. The bird was 27 lbs and had 11 inch beard and 1 3/4 inch spurs, the other bird looked identical to him. It was a great hunt.

Id say my best hour for taking birds on my place is the first hour of light. I have taken probably 90 percent of my birds then. I know lots of guys who say they take most of theirs late in the morning, but the way our place is laid out, they roost on our place, and then right after flydown they make their way to the neighbors place where there are big clover fields. They are almost always bock at his fields within 2 hours of daylight, so if you dont get one before they get to the fence, your morning is probably shot, with the exception of a straggler here and there that hang around a while. Sometimes I have an old mature bird who dont go back there, and will stay all day, but they usually know my tricks, and make it a real challenge for me to take them.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ill be shooting a stoeger 2000, i forget the choke brand, its extra full though. 3" #5 hevi shot.
my biggest bird is a 24.5 pound,8 inch beard,close to aninch spears. we arrived late to our spot in montgomery county, and as soon as we stepped out of the truck, we heard gobbling, so we hustled to get over to it. we set up on them, couldnt finish it though, we kept hearing them, and looking out in the field it was coming from, but we couldnt see any turkeys out there. so we sat on a fence row, watching the field to see if we good figure something out, and listen for gobbles at the same time. we finally saw one of them, the reason we couldnt see them earlier was because of a dip in the field. so we ran around these cedars, down through a creek, and setup within 100 yards of them right on the field edge, me, my dad, and my younger brother. they RAN in, they covered that ground in a matter of a minute, after a few yelps, 3 very big 2 year olds. my brother was up on the closest (that was the plan anyway) but by the time they figured something was up,and my brother could shoot because he had a 20gauge, my brother had a cedar tree right in the way of the one at 18 yards, and the other two were floating out around 40 yards. so my dad asked if i could kill the closest one, and before he could finish that, the bird was floppin

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Team 17 Sign In!!!!

TEAM 17 - you have been sent yet another NEW member as all who register will get a chance to be on a team. Your original 11th man - well let's say I may have caused some confusion - so one team is at 12 members!-

So
I do hope he comes and introduces himself as your 11th man.

If Hunterdan3353does indeed show please welcome him!

JW

Quick Reply: Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.