Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Airgun Hunting
Is it safe to hunt small game with Crossman Classic 1377? >

Is it safe to hunt small game with Crossman Classic 1377?

Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Is it safe to hunt small game with Crossman Classic 1377?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default Is it safe to hunt small game with Crossman Classic 1377?

I just purchased a Crosman Classic 1377 and was really excited to get shooting with it. I intend to hunt and eat squirrel. I was originally going to get the .22, but I think they were either out of stock so my next choice was the .177. I have seen videos of people hunting with this and have heard the reviews. However, I just read that the product contains one or more chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects. I also bought some pellets and didn't realize they were lead until I brought it home to look at. I am going to take them back and get non lead pellets. Unfortunately, not only do the lead pellets contain this chemical, but it says that his Air Pistol contains it as well. Why the hell would they make it like this? This is completely ridiculous. I wanted to do some hunting and now I am scared to because I don't want to poison myself with this.

Last edited by Crossman1377; 12-10-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Your profile doesn't show which state you're in. Different states have different game laws and requirements. In general, most states require a hunting license to hunt tree squirrels and usually have a season when you can hunt them, bag limit (# you can kill and keep), types of weapons that can be used to take (hunt and kill) the game animal, etc. Before hunting squirrels, you should consult your particular state's game laws and make sure you're doing things legally.

Your question about lead pellets is a good one that many first time hunters ask. It is safe to kill your game (in your case squirrels) with lead pellets, bullets, shot, etc. You'll want to chew carefully if you haven't found your pellet when field dressing your squirrels as lead can be a little hard on the teeth. It's not a 911 call if you accidentally ingest (swallow) a lead pellet as it will likely come out within a day or two in your waste. You don't want to use cans of lead pellets as snacks but an occasional pellet or bird shot surely isn't going to kill you. Now if you have some extreme allergy to lead, you may want to consult with your regular doctor who handles your allergies.

If you're still concerned about using lead, perhaps you should use head shots where the lead pellets don't come into contact with the squirrels body and meat. Or use you non-lead pellets. As for why manufacturers use lead in pellets, bullets and shot, it's simple. It's an extremely effective choice for projectiles and it doesn't tend to poison people from accidental occasional ingestion. Hopefully all of this information helps some.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Spike

I just joined the forums so I am not sure how to put in my state. I am from Ohio. I still have some questions that I hope you can help me with. Thank you for answering about the lead. I appreciate it. I just don't understand why the air gun itself contains these chemicals. I read the warnings on the owners manual and this was under proposition 65. My question is, why would an air gun contain these chemicals? My next question is, how can I find my states laws on hunting small game? Is there a number I can call or a website that can tell me these things? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a brief explanation of Proposition 65 passed out in CA 30 years ago. "Officially known as the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, it was enacted as a ballot initiative in November 1986. The proposition protects the state's drinking water sources from being contaminated with chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm, and requires businesses to inform Californians about exposures to such chemicals. Proposition 65 requires the state to maintain and update a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity."

Anything sold out in CA that has any chemical or substance listed in that Prop. must have that warning with it. There probably aren't many things that don't come under it, including your pellet gun. One thing Calhunter didn't mention is that you will need to have passed a Hunters Education Course to do pretty much any kind of hunting. Go to this Ohio website and it should help you get started: wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-10-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Add On
Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here's Ohio's website:
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/

Something else to consider is that almost every state that I know of requires a person to take a Hunter Safety class before being able to obtain a hunting license. Ohio does also and here's the link:
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/educatio...pper-education

A lot of things contain lead. Properly used, it's generally not a problem. We don't have lead in our paint or gas anymore but fishing weights have it, a lot of wheel weights for balancing tires and many other industrial uses, including some firearms.

When you take your hunter safety class, you will gain a better understanding of hunting,how to be safe and also find out about more resources for additional learning. many of us learned how to hunt from our fathers, uncles, cousins or some other family member or friend. Many hunters will often have a mentor who helps with their learning curve. Hopefully you have a family member, friend or even a co-worker who can help you along. If not, you may want to seek out any hunting clubs in your area, etc.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

And if all you want to do is hunt with an air gun for squirrels, you can always find lots of free articles and videos on YouTube---from gear, to tactics and safety, to cleaning your squirrel, to tasty recipes.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can pretty much discount anything coming from California. I have been hunting with shotguns and lead shot since 1959 and the same amount of time with rifles and lead bullets, as have many here. I have suffered no ill effects from using lead shot or bullets. Of course I do not intentionally ingest lead shot or bullet fragments however I am sure I have ingested some. Don't go getting all paranoid from the warnings you read on labels about lead unless it is a big part of your diet, there are generations that have come and gone and are still here that have used lead for shot and bullets and don't have three ears or a tail or eyes on top of their head like a woodcock, nor were they turned into a blithering idiot.