HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Divided we fall
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 03:18 PM
apmaurosr

Default RE: Divided we fall

Bob H in NH

Below I've pasted a quote from the article Divided We Fall. I think it's an important paragraph because it sums up the point the author is trying to make.

"The first step is a relatively simple one: it`s time to condemn those who attack hunting rather than arguing with each other. Obviously, there is no way that hunters can ever agree on the myriad issues that arise in any tough debate. However, we can learn to recognize that our attitudes can be adjusted in order to achieve the common good, which is the perpetuation of hunting, the preservation of wildlife habitat and a continuation of the heritage and traditions that millions of us hold dear."

The reason I posted the article is because I thought it was important for all of us hunters to understand that although we may disagree on various issues related to hunting - and there certainly a number of issues that we SHOULD be debating - we can not become so absorbed by our differences of opinions that we lose sight of the fact that ALL hunters must be united in our efforts to ensure a sound future for hunting. We ALL have a vested interest in ensuring that hunting thrives and it does all of us no good to get to the point where our disagreements become more of our focus than our goals for hunting. As we say in business we don't want to get so focused on the "process" that we forget the "purpose."

So, by all means debate away, but at the end of the day let's make sure that everyone understands - hunters and nonhunters alike - that we are committed to "...the perpetuation of hunting, the preservation of wildlife habitat and a continuation of the heritage and traditions that millions of us hold dear."

Ant