HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck lays down by you, what do you do?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 06:36 PM
moosehornhunter

Default RE: Buck lays down by you, what do you do?

I think every situation is different, and no set rule really applies. One time I had this happen and I will tell you what I did. I was shotgun hunting on a mixed growth pine and oak ridge. Several deer came in at about 7:30 am, including a 130" 10 point. They all bedded down about 75 yards out. I waited for about a half an hour but they didn't move and it was COLD. I climbed down and started walking pretty quickly in their direction. My plan was to jump the buck, and after he started running, chase him until he stopped to take a look, at which point I would let him have it. Well, when I got to about 40 yards, the buck got up and took off. I started chasing him. After he ran about 100 yards, he stopped and turned around to see what was going on. It was the last thing he ever did. I dropped him in his tracks with a slug at 50 yards.
I'm not saying this would work all the time or anything. It's the only time I have tried it, and it worked out for me. I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes we need to think outside the box to get it done. I'm sure if anyone saw me chasing that deer they would have thought that I had flipped my lid. But then again, they could have helped with the drag too
MHH