HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck lays down by you, what do you do?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
tocs

Default RE: Buck lays down by you, what do you do?

Conratulations on the buck that you killed! On the bedded buck,I would have also waited him out.Beyond that in order to know what to do would have been influenced by the time in the hunting season it was.Prerut,Rut,Postrut.The point of that being how aggressive you would be to try to coax him in.Like the one gentleman has already said basically you know where he bedded and if you don't spook him out of there you will be able to continue to hunt him.
I would have tried some soft grunting,some light rattling,doe bleating,and I would have spray misted some buck urine or doe in estrus urine in the air,again depending upon what part of the season you were in.a lot also would depend upon how much cover you had between yourself and the bedded buck.If there was very little cover I may not do any of those things,with the possible exception of misting.
For clarification with the grunting,rattling,and bleating.I would use those softly and to the degree that the buck response dictated.If the grunting got his attention and he got on his feet and started to head my way,I wouldn't grunt again unless he began to head away from me and even that would depend on how close he was to me.Each of the types of calling I would try would also be spaced out by at least a half hour.Bucks don't get big by being stupid!
The best part about all of this is that you shot a great deer and that hopefully the bedded buck is alive for you to go after this year!