HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Treestand stories.........
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 AM
MasterBlaster
Fork Horn

Default RE: Treestand stories.........

One time 3 seasons ago i got to the top of the tree (about 25 ft) and secured the top part of my climber. Next I did something stupid. Instead of taking one foot at a time out of the foot straps, like i had hundreds of times before I took both feet at the same time (i was sitting on the seat of the climber facing the tree). Then my bottom fell but luckily I had a rope tying both parts togather so I was able to pull it back up. I was not wearing my saftey belt. This was very scary! I realized that if i slipped I would fall a long way and maybe die. I used to wait until I was set up to put it on. After having the crap scared out of me I now wear the harness all the time.

Have a friend who fell 23 ft from a climber while he was trying to adjust the cable on the the standing platform of his climber after he had climbed up the tree. He was not wearing a belt. he spent 2 weeks in intensive care and 4 more weeks in the hospital. Luckily he made a full recovery.

Lessons learned:
1. Always wear a harness.
2. ALways have a rope connecting your sitting and standing platforms.
3. Dont be stupid enought to try to adjust your standing platform while after you are up in the tree.