HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Ultra-mag why isn't it more popular?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 338 Ultra-mag why isn't it more popular?

Well I can't speak for anyone but me but I can tell you why I would not buy one any of the UM's. You may feel that they don't kick much but when you compare them with other rifles that will do the same job, then recoil is certainly an issue. In my mind for any game in North America the 300 Win mag is easliy up to the task. If you like a heavier bullet then I could see, and have owned a couple 338 Win Mags. Anything more than that TO ME is a waste of power and more recoil than I have any desire to put up with. I seem to be one of the few who thinks you can have enough power and any more is just not worth having. To me the 30-06 is plenty of gun for NA. I would use my 45-70 in the case of looking for the big bears but feel plenty safe carrring my 7600 30-06 in bear country. I have killed elk with the 260 and X bullets so I know that I have plenty of gun packing the 30-06 or even YES the dreaded 270 and 280. The Rambo in me is long gone as are my 338 and 416 rifles. Enough is enough and the UL's to me are much to much. Don't need them. Like I said thats my reason for not buying one. If someone else likes them or thinks they need them then its good for the firearms industry and thats fine by me.