HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - quick before i go to bed...please?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 11:28 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: quick before i go to bed...please?

great idea......i gota do that myself......actually next weekend if the weathers ok...id be out there in the morning....but its gunna be cold...and we got a wierd snow band that hit tonite....so they will be quiet anyway....but thats a good way to find them....listen to them on the roost...pinpoint it.....and try to figure out where they go when they fly down.....most of the time they tend to head in the same direction every morning....thats how i rolled my longbeard last year....i knew where they roosted...and knew where they ended up at 9am every morning....so i snuck in and set up in the direction they go....gave some soft yelps...not 2 mins after they hit the ground was i tagging a long beard.....had 2 hit the ground in range..out of sight.....walked around a blowdown in range and in site....i let rip on one i saw a beard flopping on.....GREAT hunt.......thats how i do it......most birds can be patterend easy......MOST.....MOST of the time....not all....and not always....as for later in the day...just try to find wehre they hang out..look for scratching...hit a locator call and try to shock one...see where hes at at whatever time...i found an ole logging road behind my house 2 years ago that was tore up with scratchings..birds roosted FAR away..not in their normal roosting sight...i could barely hear them gooble....but i knew htey use that road alot..all the scratchings and i seen them on that old path before...so i set up there calling with 2 diffrent calls..sounding like 2 hens just talking...sitting there waiting...8am i was woken out of a day dream by a gobble...then another...hit the call one more time...he gobbled again...805am i slapped a tag on my first long beard... he came about 500yds to me...and crossed 2 small creeks...he roosted right up y the houses...i was far from them...i know the woods well...he put on some miles walkin that day...same bird i heard on the roost too...unmistakable thunder gobble..he heard me calling..and liked that area himself and knows other birds use it too so figured might as well head up there to.... good luck to you....scout right hunting can almost seem easy......those are the only 2 birds i ever shot in the spring too.......