HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2004 NY Deer Harvest Figures...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM
thesource

Default RE: 2004 NY Deer Harvest Figures...

The 2 harsh winters helped reduce the herd - but it was years of overharvest on top of 2 harsh winters that pounded the herd in my area. I'm not blaming the DEC - it takes a year for the data to come in and for them to react.

If you read the DEC " 2004 deer hunting forecast " - its still on the website - the DEC was predicting a slight increase in the harvest numbers last year. They got an 18% drop instead, statewide, and worse in some regions. They were taken by surprise and have been spinning ever since. I'm not saying it was poor management - as long as they drop the DMP and let the herd build again, I don't care what or who they blame.

Most regions of NY do not have massive overpopulation problems. In fact, 2/3 of the WMU are below their targets.

Farm Hunter, if you want a good feel on how your WMU is faring, look at the buck harvest numbers. If they're rising, your herd is growing. My neck of the woods (8Y, 8T, 8X) was steady from 97 to 02, then dropped in 03 and plummeted in 04.

You say it was 2 harsh winters...I say it was 2 harsh winters with high antlerless harvest on top.