HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The impact of past 2 winters on NY deer?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
moosehornhunter

Default RE: The impact of past 2 winters on NY deer?

Winter does not affect deer nearly as badly as some would lead you to believe. #1..deep snows are actualy beneficial in many ways to the deer. deep snow allows deer to reach browse that otherwise would be out of reach. Deep snow also provides ample insulation for the deer when they bed down and limits the impact of the cold air. Lack of snow and cold temperatures is actualy far worse on the deer than deep snow and cold. Also, I feed deer here in my yard. This winter at one point, we had 3 feet of snow in the yard. Every day, I walk out back on my snowshoes and feed the deer, packing down trails that become hard as a rock in the process. The small deer do for the most part walk on my trails, however the larger bucks and does couldn't care less. they are just as likely to blaze a trail themselves as they are to use the ones that are already there.
Coyotes on the other hand have a marked advantage in winter. When their is a crust, they can fly on top and run deer down. i personaly feel that coyotes cause deer a problem in the winter, not the weather alone. Take away the coyote factor, and it's just another day for the deer.