HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you guys think about decoys
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Blodg

Default RE: What do you guys think about decoys

I have used a decoy many times over the years. I have not shot a deer over one yet but I will continue to use it occasionally because it is cool to see how a deer acts around one.

I did have one bad experience but like I said above, I will continue to use them. The bad experience was when I had the decoy sitting in a small clearing deep in the woods during the rut. The clearing is maybe 60 yards long by 30 yards wide and always has numerous scrapes on the many branches overhanging the clearing. Anyways it was raining that day and I had my bow hung in the tree so I could keep my hands in my pockets to keep them dry. With the drizzle it was hard to hear anything approaching and when I heard a twig snap I knew it sounded close. I looked to my left and saw a beautiful 140 class 3 1/2 year old standing in the logging trail maybe 6 yards from my stand and he was staring hard at the doe decoy 20 yards in front of him. I watched him for a few seconds and decided I needed to get my bow to be ready if he proceeded torward the decoy. I raised my hand very slowly and had to take my eye off him to see my bow and about that time he bolted and tore out of there. To this day I wish I would have kept one eye on him and just felt for my bow because I will never know what happend for sure but I am about 90% sure the decoy spooked him. I moved slowly and his full attention was on the decoy so I don't think he saw me reaching for the bow and I surely didn't make any noise.

I think the decoy spooked him but then again maybe he would have never come that close if the decoy had not been there in the first place? Re-telling the story brings back the mental image of him standing there, tall tines, head held erect while he stared intently at the decoy, I could have damn near jumped from the stand onto his back, LOL.

I did learn something from that situation that I continue to practice today. I had my bow hanging to keep my hands dry but realized in those situations when its difficult to hear a deer approaching is when I need to keep the bow in my hands at all times. I no longer leave it hanging when it is windy, raining, snowing etc....