HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you guys think about decoys
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 05:40 AM
NHBuck

Default RE: What do you guys think about decoys

The decoy many times can be the iceing on the cake. Provided you have all the other factors in place. Wind, stand placement calling etc.. Many times when we blind call deer respond they just don't come in close enough for us to see them. The decoy can bring them in that last few yards. A mature buck if stopped forty or fifty yards from your stand does not want to hear calling from 20ft in the air at this point and if you call he will most likely turn and scram, but the visual of a decoy may bring him in. If you are utilizing a buck decoy be sure that it is facing your stand. Most times a buck will circle a buck decoy to approach it head on. A doe decoy should be facing away from your stand and maybe slightly quartering. If you need to know why that is so I don't think we have a forum for those types of pictures!! lol! If you are serious about scent control be sure not to put the scent on the decoy. Put a wick or stick with scent under the decoy. You don't want to carry the decoy then get the scent on your clothes. Place the decoy about 20 yds out from the stand facing the proper direction and a buck that comes in to it, should offer you a quartering shot. Last time I saw a decoy work. The buck was coming from over 100yds away when he spotted it and was on a beeline to it. I had not even sat down yet as it was less than 5 minutes after we placed it. He never got within 75yds as it was rifle season and my cousin reached out and touched him with his 30-.06. 8 PTS 181 lbs dressed! Good luck.