HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stubborn Gobbler
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Gobbling Buck
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stubborn Gobbler

BYRD,

I'm new to using decoys, but the things I've read about their placement and how to use them, if the gobbler is seeing your dekes at 100yds, they're in too open of a spot. Remember, calling a gobbler to a hen defies nature, the hen usually goes to him. When a gobbler (especially a mature tom) sees your deke, he starts strutting and in effect, demanding the hen comes to him. When he sees the deke not moving, this sends an alarm to him that something isn't quite right. So, try setting up in a different location that will allow the decoys to remain out of sight until the tom is within about 50 to 60yds from you and the decoys are 25 to 30 yds. Then, enjoy the show when he rounds the bend in a logging road and closes the last 30-35yds strutting, spitting and drumming.

I would not set the dekes behind me though. First and most important reason, you may not know that someone else is slipping up on them and you could be shot. Second, there may be a subordinate tom in the area that will approach silent from your backside and the hunt is blown. I hope this helps and good luck.