HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stubborn Gobbler
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM
killmeatm

Default RE: Stubborn Gobbler

Don't feel bad, I had one Sat. all by himself in a creek bottom at 2 in the afternoon that wouldn't come any closer than 75 yards. There was nothing in between me and him but a hen and jake decoy. He stayed at 75-80 for about two hours before finally walking to the creek and jumping over it and walking out of site. I tried everything I could to get him to come closer he just didn't want to.
I killed one last tuesday that did the same thing, he paid the decoys and the jake that visited the decoys no attention. I just got lucky after about an hour and a half of purring he finally got with some hens and the hens came my way. The gobblers here in Mississippi are not acyting like they normally do this time of year.
Youth weekend I took my nephew and we heard a gobbler at 7:30, we got within 100 yards and called twice and he came strutting in. He had an 8 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs.
From youth weekend to this past weekend the turkeys have went from there normal early season ways of acting to late in the season ways of acting. I guess it is all the bad weather that has got them messed up.