HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - please tell me just one negative to crossbows
Old 03-21-2005, 07:12 AM
MA Jay

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

What I don't get is that Datamax and others readily admit that Muzzleloaders and Rifles are different but share many similar qualities, and as the technology gets more similar their effectiveness is getting close to equal.

Now that same thing is applicable to Crossbows and Archery equipment. There are definitely some similarities to them, while there are also some major differences. Archery and archery equipment are very well defined, and they do not include crossbows. That doesn't mean a state hasn't allowed crossbow hunters to hunt during archery season.. that doesn't make them archery equipment, just like hunting with a bow during a rifle season doesn't make a bow a rifle.

Now what I don't get, is that almost every state has a Muzzleloader Season and a Rifle/Shotgun Season along with an Archery Season. If Muzzleloaders and Rifles/Shotguns are seperated, why "blend" Archery and crossbow hunting? A crossbow is as different from a bow as a muzzloader is from a rifle and shotgun. In fact here in the East, Muzzleloaders have some significant advantages over shotguns in terms of range where rifles aren't allowed, just as some highly profecient compound bow archers have range advantages over casual crossbow hunters.

Just because a state allows a crossbow user to hunt during archery season, doesn't make it "archery". In the neighboring state of Massachusetts, 2 guys can get married .. but in 49 other states they aren't married .. just gay.