HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - please tell me just one negative to crossbows
Old 03-20-2005, 09:18 AM
vc1111
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

It is interesting that the choice of devices to propel a given projectile can be the source of so many opinions. At the same time, I think it is fair to say that certain types of sporting endeavors attract certain personality types.

For example, I have been musky fishing for years and I can tell you that it is not for everyone. Most people lack the patience and discipline (some call it stupidity) to work so hard to catch a particular species of fish.

Therefore, I think that you could safely say that the crossbow attracts people that want far, far, less challenge in their hunting experience. Yea, I know, data, you could say the same about the crossbow vs compound.

At any rate, there is certainly truth on both sides of this one as there always has been...

You CANNOT in my opinion, make the argument that we must support crossbows because they make it easier to attract new hunters; that the loss of a hunters should be offset by simply making available a variety of devices that will ensure higher success rates and therefore higher numbers being attracted to the sport. If you're going to make that argument then just pass out the grenades.

Hunting is on the decline for a variety of reasons and most have nothing whatsoever to do with the types of hunting implements available to the sport.