HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:24 AM
alwyshntn

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4 points on at least one side minimum?

I am mixed on this subject. I do like the 4 point on one side minimum and have been practicing it myself on our farm for several years now and we do see a big difference in the size of bucks as well as the number of them. Here in MO it was put into effect as a law in alot of counties last season and mine being on of them. The trend was more female deer were killed last year than in years past as a result. On a few other properties that I hunt where others also have permission I was finding some fine little six pointer that were shot and left or what you might call "ground checked". That so far has been one drawback. The other is this: I saw alot of very fine young eight pointers killed that I would have like to seen passed on because of their potential. I mean just because he's just an eight pointer doesn't mean that he will only be a mediocre buck. I've seen alot of 8's around here go 140's and even one killed on our place 3yrs ago by a friend of mine that scored 151 and this year we had one killed with a rifle scoring 147. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the rule is fine but if your doing it for buck management purposes you have to ask yourself if the 8 your shooting is mature or not or if you are taking out next years crop. I do think that we should give each person the ability to manage their property the way they see fit and not let the government dictate it. I mean one person might want big bucks and the other just wants the meat. I say to each his own. What I want to do on my property might not work for the next guy.