HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Close encounters of the Animal kind
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 PM
huntnmuleys
Fork Horn

Default RE: Close encounters of the Animal kind

awesome stories here....heres a few of mine.

elk- last year, i was on this fairly large herd in wyoming. trying to get a shot at the herd bull, about a 320 class animal, but it didnt happen. i was trying to circle the herd ( he had a ton of cows) and i noticed a smallish 5 by 5 walking parallel to me. decided he was big enough. was going to draw when he went behind a deadfall, but when he got to it he turned and came right at me. he walked right up to me, and stopped not 5 feet away broadside. i was not hiding behind anything, just standing there like an idiot. way too close, i was actually a bit scared. thought he was gonna hook me when he swung his head.

turkey- a few years ago, i was calling to a distant flock that didnt seem like was working. anyway, i had thought i had heard something behind me earlier, but had forgotten about it, when all of a sudden i heard something RIGHT behind me. i wasnt sitting against a tree or anything, just out in the middle of the open (mistake) and when i turned my head slowly, that stupid hens head just about hit mine. i think i probably jumped twice as high as she did.

mule deer-3 years ago, i was stalking a nice muley buck id seen, when i almost stepped on a 27 inch 3 by 3. he did blow out, but it scared the crap out of me. to make it worse, me screaming scared my deer away. to top it off, when i got back to my vehicle, which was parked right by some tall sage, as i pushed in the clutch to start the truck, it moved ever so slightly forward, and nudged that sage and the biggest buck of the day jumped up and ran off. he could not have been 3 feet from my vehicle. i can not believe that he would have walked up and bedded right near a truck like that in the prairie, but i also cant believe that he was there when i parked and got out to begin with (no i didnt make that up, i know its unbelievable).

whitetails- while hunting in ohio this fall, after seeing nothing all morning, i walked to my buddies stand, and while i was standing there on the ground whispering to him, he said here comes a buck. tine 2 by 2 walked to within 10 feet of me, never even noticed. weird

caribou- couple years ago in quebec, during a winter hunt i was sitting near a trail that caribou were migrating along in the snow. during one of the little lulls, i noticed a lone cow coming along, so i crawled out in the middle of the trail she was on. she finally noticed me and stopped when she was at 5 or 6 feet, and when i winked and clicked my tongue at her, i think she may have peeled out getting away.

sorry for the long winded post
brad